AOSP 8 SabreSD IMX6Q - CONFIG_DRM_SIMPLE_PANEL

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOSP 8 SabreSD IMX6Q - CONFIG_DRM_SIMPLE_PANEL

dust_brown
Contributor I

We have a display that is supported in the simple-panel.c kernel driver, however, to enable this driver I seem to also need to enable the "CONFIG_IMX_IPUV3_CORE". This seems to conflict with the default "CONFIG_MXC_IPU" which is selected by the demo images:

> error: multiple definition of `ipu_csi_init_interface'

Is there an easy work-a-around for using the simple-panel.c driver on android with imx6q? I can't disable MXC_IPU without errors, and I'm assuming MXC_IPU is preferred over IMX_IPUV3_CORE, so, does that mean simple-panel.c is just not recommended in android imx6?

Thanks for answering my question.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I apologize for the delay.

Can you please try using our BSP? We already have the patches that could make work Android in our boards, and the task of making your own Android build is easier. 

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos

dust_brown
Contributor I

Yup we are using the NXP Oreo iMX6 BSP image (imx-o8.0.0_1.0.0_ga.tar.gz). We'll just setup the display not using the simple-panel module for now (similar to how the BSP is doing it). We've used the simple-panel kernel module in the past (and knew our panel is supported and working via the module) which was why we attempted to enable it for the android oreo bsp, but, it isn't a big issue if we don't use it for this bsp.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I apologize for the delay.

CONFIG_IMX_IPUV3_CORE and MXC_IPU both enabled then kernel compilation result in error for "multiple definitions of 'ipu_csi_init_interface'."

But, Based on menu-config, it looks like CONFIG_DRM_SIMPLE_PANEL does not depends on CONFIG_IMX_IPUV3_CORE.

Please see this: 

1) Symbol: DRM_PANEL_SIMPLE [=y] │ 
│ Type : tristate │ 
│ Prompt: support for simple panels │ 
│ Location: │ 
│ -> Device Drivers │ 
│ -> Graphics support │ 
│ (1) -> Display Panels │ 
│ Defined at drivers/gpu/drm/panel/Kconfig:10 │ 
│ Depends on: HAS_IOMEM [=y] && DRM [=y] && DRM_PANEL [=y] && OF [=y] && BACKLIGHT_CLASS_DEVICE [=y] │ 
│ Selects: VIDEOMODE_HELPERS [=y]

2) 

Symbol: IMX_IPUV3_CORE [=n] │ 
│ Type : tristate │ 
│ Prompt: IPUv3 core support │ 
│ Location: │ 
│ -> Device Drivers │ 
│ (1) -> Graphics support │ 
│ Defined at drivers/gpu/ipu-v3/Kconfig:1 │ 
│ Depends on: HAS_IOMEM [=y] && (SOC_IMX5 [=y] || SOC_IMX6Q [=y] || ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM [=y]) && RESET_CONTROLLER [=y] │ 
│ Selects: GENERIC_IRQ_CHIP [=y]

Can you please check following points?

1) Just enable DRM_PANEL_SIMPLE and its dependent configuration only.

2) Please share your configuration file(.config) if something still goes wrong so that we can debug it more at our end.

Best Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos

dust_brown
Contributor I

Thanks for the update, I'll keep it in mind as something to try in the future. We ended up just implementing it similar to how our new reference bsp was doing the lvds, which we are happy with for now.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos