Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADV7180 and UVC camera for IMX53

Jump to solution
gruger
Contributor III

Dear community,

We are using the Adeneo's Gingerbread BSP 4.2 (latest release) which has support for USB UVC cameras.

In our application we are going to have two cameras devices: ADV7180 for analog video decoding and an USB UVC camera.

Adeneo's BSP does not support ADV7180 in Camera HAL by default, but there are some patches for r10.4 release which should work:

Re: Patch to support adv7180 TVin chip for Freescale Android R10.4 BSP on iMX53 -blog archive

We would like to apply these patches to Adeneo's BSP and would like to understand the steps needed to enable a second camera (front_facing and back_facing) in Android Camera HAL. We have seen that newest IMX6 BSPs (ICS and JB) supports two cameras. Can anyone provide us some patches to Gingerbread in order to enable the second camera (and switch cam feature) or, at least, some steps on what should be done?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Mauricio

Tags (1)
1 Solution
qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Maricio, Freescale paid Adenen to support FSL chip on some BSPs. So based on Adenen BSP, you should ask for help from Adenen, this is the correct way to get support on their BSP. Freescale will not develop on Adenen BSP.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As I know, the iMX53 Android BSP such as R10.4 supports uvc camera as default, so I think you can merge the "Patch to support adv7180 TVin chip for Freescale Android R10.4 BSP on iMX53" into R10.4 BSP too, then in init.rc, just set two cameras for uvc and adv7180:

#Define the config for dual camera

setprop front_camera_name uvc

setprop front_camera_orient 180

setprop back_camera_name adv7180_decoder

setprop back_camera_orient 0

0 Kudos
gruger
Contributor III

Hi Qiang Li,

Thank you for your interest. Unfortunately, these patches have two major issues for us: firstly, they cannot be applied to Adeneo's BSP 4.2 (patch fails to be applied). Secondly, they can not record videos captured from ADV7180, which would be very desirable in our applications. If you have some steps we could follow in order to get these patches applied to Adeneo's BSP 4.2 and to fix the recording video issue, that would be much appreciated too.

Thank you for your time,

Mauricio

0 Kudos
qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mauricio, FSL don't have any plan to merge some patches into Adeneo's BSP, I think you can check with Adeneo for your requirement.

The record issue can be fixed by updated the pixel format from UYVY to NV12, the dicussion can be found at that R10.4 adv7180 patch link.

gruger
Contributor III

Ok, Qiang Li. I will try to merge these patches manually. However, it would be nice from Freescale if you could merge those patches to Adeneo's BSP, as you have the proper knowledge about these features and how they are structured in Android code.

0 Kudos
YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Mauricio

Had your issue got resolved? If yes, we are going to close the discussion in 3 days. If you still need help, please feel free to reply with an update to this discussion.

Thanks,

Yixing

0 Kudos
gruger
Contributor III

Dear Yixing Kong,

I do not understand your question. You told me that you have opened a branch to work on it.. And Qiang Li wants me to contact Adeneo as FSL will not help me. Of course I still need help! Which kind of help have you provided to me up to now?! My question has not been solved, because I do not have the proper knowledge to do this job as there are lots of parts to change, such as libcamera, liboverlay, android framework, kernel drivers!

0 Kudos
qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Maricio, Freescale paid Adenen to support FSL chip on some BSPs. So based on Adenen BSP, you should ask for help from Adenen, this is the correct way to get support on their BSP. Freescale will not develop on Adenen BSP.

0 Kudos
YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Maricio

It is suggested to close a question as soon as possible. As Qiang Li asked you to contact Adenen, you may close this post and contact Adeneo through email. If you would like to ask Freescaleanother question, please create a new discussion here.

Thanks,

Yixing

0 Kudos
gruger
Contributor III

If you want to close the topic to have your boss happy to see many topics closed, go ahead and close it. I am very disappointed: I have got no solution.. I have got no help. The BSP is supplied by Adeneo BUT IT IS A FREESCALE'S OFFICIAL BSP FOR A FREESCALE'S OFFICIAL BOARD. In my opinion it is your job to support it and not ask your customers to pay for an additional support from third-part companies.

As I said, this topic does not have a solution and I am very disappointed to Freescale the way it has been driven by you.

0 Kudos
qiang_li-mpu_se
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mauricio, you can keep the topic open since your issue is still there.

From my point, for your questions to support dual camera UVC and adv7180 on iMX53 Android; to support adv7180 record function, I had given suggestion for them all.

The summary of them:

To support dual camera, you can merge the "Patch to support adv7180 TVin chip for Freescale Android R10.4 BSP on iMX53" into R10.4 BSP too, then in init.rc, just set two cameras for uvc and adv7180:
    #Define the config for dual camera

setprop front_camera_name uvc

setprop front_camera_orient 180

setprop back_camera_name adv7180_decoder

setprop back_camera_orient 0

To support adv7180 record function, the issue can be fixed by updated the pixel format from UYVY to NV12.

The reference code and discusstion can be found at https://community.freescale.com/message/300473.

The remained work is porting and debuging.

If you got some issue in your porting, you can get suggestion from Freescale, but your requirement "Freescale merge those patches to Adeneo's BSP", it is out of Freescale support. If you think you can't do the porting by yourself, my suggestion is that you can get support from Adeneo for this porting work.

0 Kudos
gruger
Contributor III

Thank you, Qiang Li. I will work on that. However, I am sure it will not be easy, as I have already looked into that code and there are several differences (which are out of my knowledge), mainly on the modifications done on kernel (ipu drivers) and linux-lib (ipu lib).

0 Kudos
YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Mauricio

We are sorry for getting back to you so late. Are you still stuck with the issue? If you have somehow to resolved the issue, can we close the discussion? If you still need help, please feel free to reply with an update to this discussion.

Thanks,

Yixing

0 Kudos
gruger
Contributor III

Hello Yixing Kong,

We appreciate your interest in our issue. Unfortunately, we have not come up with a solution yet. Do you have any clues about it?

I know there is some kernel drivers for ADV7180 in this BSP (kernel 2.6.35) which works fine for Linux environments. We need to integrate this feature into the Android Camera HAL (and other parts if needed). Can you please help us on that?

Thank you for your attention,

Mauricio

0 Kudos
YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Mauricio

We are going to branch your issue into an internal group and assign an enginer to work on it.

Thanks,

Yixing

0 Kudos
gruger
Contributor III

Thank you Yixing Kong.

Please, let me know any advances you get on this issue with your team and if I may help you somehow.

0 Kudos