Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8M Mini RMII.TX_ERR signal

Jump to solution
adevries
Contributor V

Hello,

On page 41 of the 8M Mini datasheet, it says that pad ENET_TXC can be put in ALT1 mode and output signal RMII.TX_ERR. However, RMII doesn't use a TX_ERR signal. Is this a mistake? How should I be using this signal when connecting up an Ethernet PHY using RMII?

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

from RMII specs:

"... in switch applications there is no need for TX_ER since a MAC will never generate errored data.

The one case where TX_ER is used is with repeaters that need to ensure propagation of errors."

Have a great day,
Yuri

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

from RMII specs:

"... in switch applications there is no need for TX_ER since a MAC will never generate errored data.

The one case where TX_ER is used is with repeaters that need to ensure propagation of errors."

Have a great day,
Yuri

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
adevries
Contributor V

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for the response. Can you tell me which RMII specification you are referencing? That sounds like a document I would find useful.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

look at the following, page.2.

http://ebook.pldworld.com/_eBook/-Telecommunications,Networks-/TCPIP/RMII/rmii_rev12.pdf 

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos
adevries
Contributor V

Great, thanks for the information!

0 Kudos