cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

802.1AS PTP support on the RT1180?

kevin137
Contributor I

Hi everybody,

We are watching the development of the RT1180 with interest because we are i.MXRT users and PTP users, and a "Gb Time Sensitive Networking (TSN) Switch to enable real-time rich networking for both TSN-based and industrial real-time communications" certainly seems like it must have hardware timestamping working underneath. 

We are mainly interested in having an industrial switch chipset capable of implementing PTP transparent clock (perhaps running the FW to implement it directly on the M7), but another possibility might be to use DSA to emulate three or four independent interfaces, each with hardware timestamping, and synchronize clocks on our nodes that way.

The 1180 is starting to show up in the latest versions of the Real-time Edge Software User Guide
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/REALTIMEEDGEUG.pdf

with this intriguing introduction:

"Heterogeneous Multi-SoC Framework enables the usage of a combination of MPU and i.MX RT1180 as an Industrial Switch. This extends the MPU hardware capability with the i.MX RT1180 hardware capability, thereby providing switch functionality, TSN functionality, and the capability of supporting different Industrial Protocols. The i.MX RT1180 can be used to run real-time tasks such as industrial protocols in the real-time domain, whereas the MPU can process compute-heavy tasks, in the non-real-time domain."

but so far just mentioning DSA and discussing how the i.MX8 and i.MXRT1180 eval boards can be connected, how to compile the demo software, and NOT describing any real-time applications.

So perhaps it is a bit early, but I have some questions:

*Are there plans to expose and explicitly support 802.1AS/PTP on the RT1180?

*Are there plans (by NXP or a third party) to develop FW for PTP transparent clock on the RT1180?

* Is the DSA setup illustrated in Figure 45 of the Real-time Edge Software User Guide intended to provide PTP hardware timestamping in such a way that the virtualized ports are compatible with linuxptp?

Thanks for your attention,

-Kevin

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Gavin_Jia
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @kevin137 ,

Thanks for your interest in our new products in RT series!

I am glad to serve you and answer your questions. However, since RT1180 is still not officially released, please refer to the final release.

1. Yes, it is supported.

Gavin_Jia_0-1711088808102.png

2. Yes, it is in the schedule.

3. The purpose of using the Linux DSA architecture is to take advantage of the heterogeneous architecture to bring out the best of the expertise of both the MPU and the RT. Enabling the i.MX RT1180 to be used with MPUs, taking full advantage of the i.MX RT1180's switching capabilities, TSN functionality, and support for industrial protocols.

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Gavin

0 Kudos

kevin137
Contributor I
Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the quick response. Referring to #3: Does that mean that hardware timestamping is already working through DSA in the setup connecting the RT1180 EVK to the i.MX8 EVK?

BR,
-Kevin
0 Kudos

Gavin_Jia
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @kevin137 ,

Hope you are doing well! I apologize for the delay in replying to this thread because of some blocking transactions. In my understanding, the answer is Yes, but there is no more precise information that can be found, I mean it may be necessary to go to the source code to sort out the process.

Best regards,
Gavin

0 Kudos