i.MX6 Crystal Drive Level (24 MHz) EB830

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 Series - Crystal Drive Level guidance; includes calculator.

UPDATED 2024-01-25: It seems updated Adobe Acrobat security settings no longer allow exporting embedded files with certain extensions. Attaching the Excel file to this post.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
Attachments
Comments

Hi Grant,

What was modified?

The doc is broken. I don’t see facsimile and I can’t download it.

Regards,

David Babin

Freescale Internal Use Only

Hmmm.  I just moved it over to the community and added a category to the file.  I didn't change anything else.  It says that it is queued for virus scanning.  I'll ask our ECM.

Regards,

Grant

It's working now, David.

Great! Looks good.

DB

Hi Grant,

We are using 100uW drive capability crystal in our i.MX6 board. As per your power calculator excell, if we change the CL1 & CL2 capacitor value, we can achieve 200uW drive level with same 100uW crystal.

So will changing the CL1 & CL2 itself enough to achieve 200uW drive level in our board? or Do we need to change the crystal itself which supports 200uW drive level?

Regards,

Pradap

Per EB830: "A crystal is selected based on several parameters provided by the crystal supplier such that the crystal maximum drive level is not violated." So, a 100 uW crystal cannot be used above 100 uW because 100 uW is the maximum allowed dissipation. For example, this is similar to a 1/8 watt resistor -- this resistor shouldn't be used above the 1/8 watt maximum rating.

You must select capacitors to match your crystal's load capacitance on their data sheet while simultaneuously ensuring that the crystal's maximum power rating (uW) is not exceeded. The app note referenced in the bulletin shows how to calculate the load capactance; they refer to it as Ceq.

Dear David Babin,

Thank you for your clarification.

Regards,

Pradap

Hi,

Hi, are there any similar documents for the 32.768kHz Rtc crystal? In the datasheet i can only find the information that the ESR of the crystal must be <100kOhm but no spezifications how high the drive level is.

Regards,

Raphael

Within the doc EB830 is an attachment that I cannot seem to extract.  IS this calculator available?

I'm having the same problem with the attachment in the PDF. I believe it is because of an Adobe Reader security update that now prevents excel documents with macros enabled to be opened.

I can't use or download the attachment in the pdf file? What should I do to use it?

I have edited the post and added the embedded Excel document in zip file above.

No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎01-25-2024 10:02 AM
Updated by: