Talking about images

Talking about images

$ ~/dylan/sources$ find -name *image*.bb

./meta-fsl-demos/recipes-fsl/images/fsl-image-gui-sdk.bb

./meta-fsl-demos/recipes-fsl/images/fsl-image-test.bb

./meta-fsl-demos/recipes-fsl/images/fsl-image-gui.bb

./meta-fsl-demos/recipes-qt/images/qt-in-use-image.bb

./meta-fsl-demos/recipes-qt/images/qte-in-use-image.bb

./meta-openembedded/meta-initramfs/recipes-bsp/images/initramfs-kexecboot-klibc-image.bb

./meta-openembedded/meta-initramfs/recipes-bsp/images/initramfs-kexecboot-image.bb

./meta-openembedded/meta-oe/recipes-support/imagemagick/imagemagick_6.7.5.bb

./meta-openembedded/meta-oe/recipes-multimedia/libsdl-image/libsdl-image_1.2.12.bb

./poky/meta-hob/recipes-core/images/hob-image.bb

./poky/meta-skeleton/recipes-multilib/images/core-image-multilib-example.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-devtools/mkelfimage/mkelfimage_svn.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-sato/images/core-image-sato-dev.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-sato/images/core-image-sato.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-sato/images/core-image-sato-sdk.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-qt/images/qt4e-demo-image.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-base.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal-dev.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal-initramfs.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-core/images/build-appliance-image.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal-mtdutils.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-extended/images/core-image-lsb-sdk.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-extended/images/core-image-basic.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-extended/images/core-image-lsb-dev.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-extended/images/core-image-lsb.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-graphics/images/core-image-directfb.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-graphics/images/core-image-x11.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-graphics/images/core-image-clutter.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-graphics/xcb/xcb-util-image_0.3.9.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-mkimage_2013.01.01.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-mkimage_2011.06.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-mkimage_2011.03.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-rt/images/core-image-rt-sdk.bb

./poky/meta/recipes-rt/images/core-image-rt.bb

Those are all available images. And note that, available images from poky and meta-fsl-arm only. As you may imagine, several other layers can be included, and any new layer can provide new images.

If you look line by line, you can see that some of that files are not images, for example u-boot-mkimage_2011.06.bb but you got the message.

Yocto Project (and meta-fsl-demos) provides some "pre baked" images. In my point of view, those images are not to be used on your product. They are examples and quick starting points.

When you desire a pie, you can go to supermarket and buy a frozen chocolate pie. But when you´re developing a pie to be the Apple Salted Caramel with Dark Chocolate Cinnamon Topping you need to decide every piece of this pie. What is the base, which type of apple to use. How much salt on caramel. This is your product, your pie, not a frozen standard pie.

I know the analogy is kind of dumb. But it´s important to understand that the "pre baked" images provided by Yocto Project, or meta-fsl-demos are not supposed to become a product image! You can (and maybe should) base your image on some of those images, but they are not good enough to your product.

I highly recommend you to have your own image file.

The pre-baked images I´m used with are

core-image-minimal I use to

image nameI use it when/forFormal description
core-image-minimaltesting machine support; uboot support/upgrade; kernel support/upgradeA small image just capable of allowing a device to boot.
core-image-basewhen I need to add something like ssh/dropbear or evtest or usb utils. I always configure this on local.conf to add the desired package.A console-only image that fully supports the target device hardware.
core-image-x11when I need to test X11 accelerated by GPU, or I need to have X11 for any test.A very basic X11 image with a terminal
core-image-direcftbwhen I debug directfb GPU supportAn image that uses DirectFB instead of X11.
core-image-westonwhen I debug Wayland GPU supportA very basic Wayland image with a terminal
fsl-image-testwhen I need to test VPU with and without gstreamer.-
fsl-image-guiwhen I need to have QT, or I want to build everything altogether. Although I´ve been preferring the smaller images instead.-
meta-toolchainTo have the crosscompiler installed on my machine to manually build u-boot and kernel, when I´m changing itMeta package for building a installable toolchain

All those images DO NOT include -dev packages or native build. If you want it you MUST configure your local.conf.

Although, you can find special images that provides the header files or the native compiler.

The images with -dev sufix include the header files (and development files) from all packages. For example: core-image-minimal-dev (A small image just capable of allowing a device to boot and is suitable for development work.)

The images with -sdk sufix include the native build tools. For example core-image-sato-sdk (Image with Sato support that includes everything within core-image-sato plus meta-toolchain, development headers and libraries to form a standalone SDK.)

*all formal description was copied from poky source code (poky - Poky Build Tool and Metadata)

Please, go back to Yocto Training - HOME

标签 (1)
评论

Hi Daiane,

I have followed your Yocto Document. It is superb. It helps me alot. Will you please elaborate how to make a custom image.

I want only depending packages & libraries of  chromium browser in that image. currently i am including required package in core-image-x11.bb file under IMAGE_INSTALL. It is working fine.

Thanks in advance,

Pratik

Hi Pratik,

one of the best sources of documentation I have found in Yocto is actually looking at the source code (really) . Look at the recipes-*/images/* files, to see how you can create your own. In general, you can indicate either: features (IMAGE_FEATURES), packages (IMAGE_INSTALL) and packages groups (also through IMAGE_INSTALL). Features map to a set of packages and pkg groups wrap a set of packages with a single label.

In addition, Pratik, take a look on source code available on meta-fsl-demos. We have some "custom" images there and you can take than as example.

Hi Daiane,

I compile the core-image-lsb-dev as the follow and get the rigth image and rootfs, but when i flash the image and rootfs to the imx6q sabrelite board, i found i can't login  and telenet connect to the board.

ife@ife-virtual-machine:~/fsl-community-bsp/build$ bitbake core-image-lsb-dev

Loading cache: 100% |#####################################################################| ETA:  00:00:00

Loaded 1737 entries from dependency cache.

NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies

NOTE: multiple providers are available for jpeg (jpeg, libjpeg-turbo)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match jpeg

NOTE: multiple providers are available for jpeg-native (jpeg-native, libjpeg-turbo-native)

NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match jpeg-native

Build Configuration:

BB_VERSION        = "1.20.0"

BUILD_SYS         = "i686-linux"

NATIVELSBSTRING   = "Ubuntu-12.04"

TARGET_SYS        = "arm-poky-linux-gnueabi"

MACHINE           = "imx6qsabrelite"

DISTRO            = "poky"

DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.5.3"

TUNE_FEATURES     = "armv7a vfp neon callconvention-hard cortexa9"

TARGET_FPU        = "vfp-neon"

meta            

meta-yocto        = "9-12-test:6d0a1893d1e2df20b62296ec2cc80924cbab8e90"

meta-oe           = "9-12-test:ee173678383683e972c7d4d6f0ef5790bfa50274"

meta-fsl-arm      = "9-12-test:5fdb620c09df11e70434092f675c891e0ba84108"

meta-fsl-arm-extra = "9-12-test:375f89b70655be2a17bbde36de6adb4e4a5a6975"

meta-fsl-demos    = "9-12-test:5a12677ad000a926d23c444266722a778ea228a7"

meta-test         = "<unknown>:<unknown>"

NOTE: Preparing runqueue

NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks

NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks

NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 5572 tasks of which 5517 didn't need to be rerun and all succeeded.

ife@ife-virtual-machine:~/fsl-community-bsp/build$

ife@ife-virtual-machine:~/fsl-community-bsp/build$

Connect by uart :

imx6qsabrelite login:

Poky (Yocto Project Reference Distro) 1.5.3 imx6qsabrelite /dev/ttymxc1

imx6qsabrelite login:

connect by telnet:

The remote system refused the connection.

I want to know how to login  and telnet the board, thanks very much.

I don't know the access word for  core-image-lsb-dev, in images I use it's "root" or empty

in order to telnet the board you must know the ip address and have the telnet-server installed/configured inside the board. But nothing special, any internet tutorial can help you on that.

Hi Daiane,

Thank you very much for your help.

I found the ssh server is not enabled and the root password is disabled.

The doucument of the follow descrips the ssh servers:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.6.1/mega-manual/mega-manual.html

Including these SSH servers allow you to use standard ssh and scpcommands. The core-image-minimal QEMU image, however, contains no SSH server.

Edit the IMAGE_FEATURES variable in your recipe or use the EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES in your local.conf file so that it configures the image you are working with to include ssh-server-dropbear or ssh-server-openssh.

So we add the  EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES in the local.conf files.

BB_NUMBER_THREADS ?= "${@oe.utils.cpu_count()}"

PARALLEL_MAKE ?= "-j ${@oe.utils.cpu_count()}"

MACHINE ??= 'imx6qsabrelite'

DISTRO ?= 'poky'

PACKAGE_CLASSES ?= "package_ipk"

EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "debug-tweaks ssh-server-openssh"

USER_CLASSES ?= "buildstats image-mklibs image-prelink"

PATCHRESOLVE = "noop"

BB_DISKMON_DIRS = "\

STOPTASKS,${TMPDIR},1G,100K \

STOPTASKS,${DL_DIR},1G,100K \

STOPTASKS,${SSTATE_DIR},1G,100K \