Q&A: Is it possible to connect a MIPI CSI-1 device to our i.MX6 MIPI CSI-2 interface?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q&A: Is it possible to connect a MIPI CSI-1 device to our i.MX6 MIPI CSI-2 interface?

Question:

Is SN65LVDS315 (MIPI CSI-1) compatible with our i.MX6 MIPI CSI-2 interface? CSI-2 extends CSI-1 with multiple lanes, but both standards use the same D-PHY layer.

Answer:

No, the i.MX6 MIPI CSI-2 interface is not compatible with CSI-1 devices.

Standards that require backward compatibility to legacy standards always state that the standards are backward compatible. The CSI-2 standard does not say that. (I have a copy of the standard and I have read it specfically for that reason)  The CSI-2 standard does say that a specifically designed PHY, built to D-PHY MIPI01 specification is used for CSI-2. The PHY's used for CSI-1 and CSI-2 are different and they are not compatible. There are some processors that do have compatiblity for CSI-1 and CSI-2, but if you read closer, you will find that they have two different modes (and probably two different sets of pins): One for CSI-2 and One for CSI-2/CSI-1 legacy. It is interesting that a company would choose to inlcude a dying technology in a newer processor, but my guess is that they have a number of other CSI-1 devices they are trying to sell before they can't be used anywhere and nobody wants them.

if the customer is looking for a parallel camera interface to CSI-2 converter IC, may I recommend the Toshiba TC358746 device. I have not used it specifically, but I have worked with a Toshiba rep on an HDMI to MIPI CSI-2 project that input into the i.MX6 processor. Once all the correct parameters were determined, it worked very well. Much higher data rate flow.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎09-23-2013 01:41 AM
Updated by: