cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

zigbee solution

Jump to solution
nidhalbouzwita
Contributor I

hi guys,i tried to study the fressclae developpement tools of zigbee,as i know,there is two processor   ,zigbee application processor and zigbee network processor ,texas provides cc2530 as a ZNP,and msp430 as a ZAP,plz i want to know the freescale's products ,i found MC1322 as  a processor wich integrated zigbee protocol,and beekit developpement tool,which integrated (iar and code warrior),i want to know the tool wich allow me to implement the zigbee stack in the ZNP of freescale ,and the other developpement tool to implement my application in the ZAP  of freescale ,and thanks :smileyhappy:

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Nidhal,

Beekit Wireless Connectivity Toolkit could be downloaded free of charge containing several application examples and documentation that do not have a time limit to use them. The only constraint in terms of usability would be the IDE license required to build and load the applications to the devices.

In other words, the software does not have a limit at all and could be used at any time without cost. However, in order to compile and load such applications to the boards/devices, you may need the corresponding IDE license (IAR or Codewarrior, depending in the device to be used).

If you already have a license that allows you to compile the whole solution, then you do not need anything else at all. This is independent form BeeKit and included software though.

Regards,

AngelC

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
thehellmaker
Contributor I

Is there a possibility I can compile beestack on a free ide like kinetis development studio for kinetics based boards ?

0 Kudos
AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Hello,

Unfortunately, there is no current support for KW2x codebases in KDS IDE. See, our application examples with Beestack, RF4CE, or any of our stacks contain pre-compiled libraries that would only work with IAR.

Latest BeeKit includes solutions for KW2x, such as BeeStack, that could be exported to Codewarrior. However, the officially supported IDE is IAR only as mentioned. You may try to use Codewarrior whenever you desire but any issue you may have with the compiler or IDE in general is up to you. It is true Codewarrior is not free either, but you might get an evaluation license and use it for a limited timed.

There might be some future implementations for KDS, which is free, but it is still under development and will take some months to be done. No date has been announced. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

AngelC

0 Kudos
jc_pacheco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Nidhal,

MC1322x part is EOL and is no longer supported. You should take a look into Freescale Kinetis MKW2x portfolio for 802.15.4-based solutions (Thread, ZigBee, MAC, SMAC).

Current evaluation boards for MKW2x: TWR-KW2x and USB-KW2x.

Similar to what you already read, you can install BeeKit Wireless Connetivity Toolkit to start your development, it includes several example projects for you to get familiar with BeeStack (Freescale's ZigBee stack). BeeKit also comes with an user friendly wizard that will guide you through the setup, configure your demo, export it to a development platform (IAR EWARM or Code Warrior), compile, execute the demo applications and create your own.

Regards,

Juan P.

nidhalbouzwita
Contributor I

thanks Juan,

but if you can explain more the difference between texas and freescale,i said already i want to implement the zigbee stack and my application without any modification in the the zigbee stack,i want to know if i will implement the stack and the application in KW2x ,i mean KW2x is-it a zigbee application processor and network application processor in the same time ???

regards,

Nidhal

0 Kudos
jc_pacheco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Nidhal,

Yes, KW2x is both an MCU + Radio solution in same IC. Both, Freescale (BeeStack) and TI (Z-Stack) have their own stack implementation which is ZigBee certified. Said so, you'd just require to adapt the way you application communicates with the stack in the different solutions. I'd recommend you to download BeeKit and run any of the demo applications; demo's source code is available so that you can take it as a reference and see how the application communicates with the stack.

nidhalbouzwita
Contributor I

Hello Juan,

the final step is to choose the best device (freescale /texas...),but i find that beekit is not free (just 90 days evaluation version) ,if u had work on zigbee protocol ,which product you recommend me to choose (with a free software and simple API ) ???

regards,

Nidhal

0 Kudos
AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Nidhal,

Beekit Wireless Connectivity Toolkit could be downloaded free of charge containing several application examples and documentation that do not have a time limit to use them. The only constraint in terms of usability would be the IDE license required to build and load the applications to the devices.

In other words, the software does not have a limit at all and could be used at any time without cost. However, in order to compile and load such applications to the boards/devices, you may need the corresponding IDE license (IAR or Codewarrior, depending in the device to be used).

If you already have a license that allows you to compile the whole solution, then you do not need anything else at all. This is independent form BeeKit and included software though.

Regards,

AngelC

0 Kudos
nidhalbouzwita
Contributor I

Dear AngelC,

MC13233 supports  zigbee .besides,kw2x supports also zigbee,what's the difference betwenn them because i need to design a board that contain (mc 13233 or kw2x) with home automation profile ,i need your help ,thx

regards,

Nidhal

0 Kudos
AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Nidhal,

Roughly speaking, the MC13234 and MC13237 are 8-bit MCUs with 128 KB of FLASH and 8 KB RAM. The KW2x is an ARM Cortex-M4 32-bit MCU with up to 512KB of flash and 64KB of RAM. All of them contain an 802.15.4 wireless transceiver radio in the same package.

As implied by MCU core and memory, the difference resides in the performance and available peripherals.  This makes KW2x more suitable for ZigBee development since it gives plenty of memory space for both the stack and the custom implementation, and is the one we recommend for ZigBee applications.

Anyway, I would recommend you to take a look at the corresponding datasheets and choose the one that fits your application’s requirements the most.

MC13234/7: http://cache.freescale.com/files/rf_if/doc/data_sheet/MC13237.pdf

MKW2X: http://cache.freescale.com/files/rf_if/doc/data_sheet/MKW2xDxxx.pdf

Regards,

AngelC

0 Kudos
nidhalbouzwita
Contributor I

Dear friends,

plz i need a clear answer,i need a document which lead me and show me what i have to do to achieve my application ,my problem is i found many code sourse and i dont know which one i have to work on it ,i understand the zigbee network and its specification ,the ZCL but i can't forward on the implementation of the code,to (for example ) to put on or off a light ,what i should i do?

Regards

0 Kudos
nidhalbouzwita
Contributor I

Dear Freescale members,

the problem is what can i do to modifiate the z-stack , and implement a code using iar ,i want to prepare a project wich can communicate with on other ZAP,the meaning is : for example ,configure and ..... in on/off cluster in HA profile to turn on/off the light ,that's my work ,on other engineer will prepare the ZAP wich send a command (for exemple touch screen wich through it he can turn on the light) ,so my program will read this command wich come from the ZAP and through the usb donge (configure as coordinator ) will send the command to an end-device wich turn the light on ,so my job to program this usb dongle to read the command incoming from the ZAP and send it to the end-device ,i think now my question is clear

Regards

0 Kudos
AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Nidhal,

What you are trying to do could be achieved with the application templates included in BeeKit. Depending in the hardware being used (MC1323x or KW2x) you should select the proper BeeStack (ZigBee) codebase, where you will find several examples including a ZigBee Home Automation On/Off Light and On/Off switch. The new project’s wizard will guide you through basic configuration and settings (node type, MAC address, channel, etc) before exporting it to IAR.

You will be able to load such solutions to your development boards and start sending ZigBee On/Off commands right away using board’s push buttons. The light is emulated by the on-board LEDs. For further details about how to use the demo, please refer to the Freescale ZigBee™ Application User’s Guide for ZigBee 2012 and 2007 included in BeeKit’s documentation folder.

If you would like to use an external tool to send the over-the-air (OTA) commands, you could implement a parser converting such custom commands to ZigBee function calls as you may see in the application’s source code.

Another approach would be to use the ZigBee Test Client (ZTC) in your On/Off switch board. The ZTC layer would let you send commands serially to your board, that will be converted to ZigBee OTA commands. You could test such commands using TestTool 12 command console. For further details please refer to BeeStack™ BlackBox ZigBee™ Test Client (ZTC) Reference Manual included in documentation folder too.

Regards,

AngelC

0 Kudos
nidhalbouzwita
Contributor I

Dear Angel ,

if for example i will send a command to turn on the light ,is -it correct to use the SW on/off from the home autmation profile (i mean the switch on/off clusters) in the coordinator using the appropriate attributies ,and the samplelight cluster in the end-device (a light for example) ,i mean if i wanna do this project ,i just need the atributies or i need an ther things ,i search on the net but i can't find how to make the steps to achieve this work .

Regards

Nidhal

0 Kudos
AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Nidhal,

Here is what I would recommend you to do in order to achieve what you need:

1. Open BeeKit and select Kinetis BeeStack codebase 4.0.1 or HCS08 BeeStack codebase, depending if you are using MKW2x or MC1323x
  2. Create and export a Home Automation On/Off Light project (Coordinator). Enable ZTC.
  3. Create and export a Home Automation On/Off switch project (end device). Enable ZTC.
  4. Load both projects to the boards and run the demo. Please refer to chapter 7 in Freescale ZigBee Application User’s Guide for ZigBee 2012 and 2007 found in BeeKit’s documentation folder.
  5. Press SW1 in coordinator to create the network. Press SW1 in end device to join the network.
  6. Switch to application mode by holding SW1 in both boards.
  7. Once in application mode, press SW1 in switch to toggle the light remotely.

This will help you to get familiar with the home automation profile and a typical ZHA application flow. You may always check the source code and check what it is done in the background after a switch is pressed.

Now, if you want to send such commands serially, simply connect the switch board to the PC and open TestTool 12. Open the command console and browse to the ZigBee Cluster Library Commands and select the OnOffCmd_SetState. Set the proper parameters as described in chapter B.6.27 OnOffCmd_SetState of BeeStack™ BlackBox ZigBee™ Test Client (ZTC) Reference Manual, also included in Beekit’s documentation.  The command sent will be equivalent to a button SW1 press, thus achieving what you need.

Regards,

AngelC

0 Kudos