Wireshark-win64-2.4.0 problem with Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireshark-win64-2.4.0 problem with Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter

johnconnett
Contributor II

I have been trying to use an USB-KW41Z with Wireshark (v2.4.0-0-g9be0fa500d) and the Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter. However, there appears to be a problem with Wireshark\2.4.0\plugins\fsd802_15_4.dll. Wireshark runs as expected before the Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter is installed. However, after installation a Wireshark Debug Console window pops up with the message Err Field 'Channel' (fsd802_15_4.channel) is a character value (FT_CHAR) but is being displayed as BASE_DEC.

2017-07-21.png

Pressing any key doesn't help.

Is there a fix or work around?

Labels (1)
13 Replies

alejandra_guzman
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This problem is that Kinetis Protocol Analyzer v1.2.4 needs to recompile the plugins for Wireshark version 2.4 and above. 

To address this issue a new release was uploaded to Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter v1.2.5 
pastedImage_2.png

I tried it at my Windows 7 64-bit and it works. 

johnconnett
Contributor II

Tried it on Windows 10 Enterprise (64-bit) with mixed results.

Sniffing 802.4.15 works. Successfully captured some zigbee traffic on channel 25.

Attempting to sniff BLE (all channels, no address filter) causes Wireshark 2.4.0 to report a runtime error and exit with code 3 (0x3).

alejandra_guzman
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

John,

I can confirm that the runtime error is duplicated with Windows 7 64-bit, our software team is working on finding a root cause and a fix. In the mid time, you can use Wireshark v2.2.9 Index of /download/automated/win64 

philbeeson
Contributor III

Hi,

It's been a couple of weeks now, has your software team got a fix for Wireshark 2.4.0 with BLE yet?

0 Kudos

alejandra_guzman
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Philip, 

The software was uploaded last night you can download v1.2.6.1 from here

To double-check, I select ALL BLE channels then launch the sniffer and there are no error messages. 

philbeeson
Contributor III

Thanks,  that's resolved that specific issue and Wireshark is now behaving fine.

Thanks again for resolving this issue,  please can you take a look at the other issue I raised on the another thread (https://community.nxp.com/thread/458293 ) which should be pretty simple to fix by the right person.  It's a stupid little bug but makes the sniffer unusable for BLE connections.

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

Sorry for the late response, which release were you using ? I'm asking you so I can dig into the problem and hopefully this issue can be solved. 

By any chance, are you using WIndows 10 ? 

Best Regards, 

Estephania 

0 Kudos

philbeeson
Contributor III

When I saw the same issue as John, I saw it on both Win7 pro x64 and Win10pro x64,  with protocol analyzer adapter 1.2.4.0.

philbeeson
Contributor III

I know "Me Too" posts don't help the OP,  but I can confirm the same issue.

So hopefully on the seemingly rare occurrence of someone from NXP taking a look through these forums, they might note that this looks like a general problem rather than a user specific one.

I reverted back to 2.2.8 which seems to run without crashing but I'm still unable to follow a BLE connection successfully.

johnconnett
Contributor II

Many thanks. My guess is that there has been a change to the Wireshark plugin interface between 2.2 and 2.4. The folder containing the plugin that was installed was named 2.1.

Uninstalled Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter (via Control Panel -> Uninstall a program - took two attempts to get rid of it); uninstalled Wireshark 2.4.0; installed Wireshark 2.2.8; installed Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter (blue screened on first attempt, worked on second).

Gave it a try and it appears to work!

Screenshot (1).png

It was capturing BLE data from a TI CC2650 SensorTag and worked with or without an address filter.

Good enough to confirm that the USB-KW41Z is programmed with the sniffer and is functional.

0 Kudos

philbeeson
Contributor III

John,

Glad you got somewhere with 2.2.8.  Your screenshot showed advertising data only,  did you manage to sniff a connection request and follow the frames in the connected state?  I'm trying to figure out if I've got an installation related problem or if there's a fundamental problem sniffing packets.   At the moment sniffing advertisements works fine for me, but it looks like it's not following the hop pattern in the connection.

Thanks,

Phil.

johnconnett
Contributor II

That's as far as I went before removing the NXP software and installing an evaluation copy of Ubilogix Ubiqua Protocol Analyzer to check if the USB-KW41Z could also sniff 802.15.4 packets. That appears to work, too!

Screenshot (3).png

More confirmation that the USB-KW41Z is programmed with the sniffer and is functional.

Note that this and the earlier Wireshark output were produced on a borrowed laptop running Windows 10 Enterprise (64-bit), Version:1703, Build: 15063.483 with all recent updates applied.

I reinstalled Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter 1.2.5 on the original laptop running the same flavour of Windows. Virtual Com Port (COM5) is running the Freescale driver (Version: 1.0.0.0, Date: 16/02/2011) and Freescale Kinetis-W Network Interface is running the Freescale driver (Version: 1.0.0.1; Date: 14/08/2014). Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter still fails to start but at least Wireshark 2.4.0 (v2.4.0.0-g9be0fa500d) no longer pops up the Debug Console! Tried the USB-KW41Z in two different USB ports, same result! Both ports work fine with other USB devices. When Wireshark starts there is no traffic on Ethernet 2 (Freescale Kinetis-W Network Interface. I thought the problem might have been my VPN Manager firewalling Ethernet 2 but the same behaviour occurs when my VPN Manager is disabled. Strange! Not sure what might make two similar laptops behave differently ...

Anyway, I'm happy that the USB-KW41Z works as a sniffer on the borrowed laptop.

0 Kudos

johnconnett
Contributor II

Just tried the evaluation of Ubilogix Ubiqua Protocol Analyzer Version 2.0 (Build 0103) on the original laptop and the USB-KW41Z works fine in both USB sockets. It appears to talk directly to the COM device using the Microsoft driver (Version: 10.0.15063.0; Date: 21/06/2006) rather than a virtual network interface. Looks like Kinetis Protocol Analyzer Adapter has problems on some Windows systems but not on others. No idea why ...

0 Kudos