Will NTAG 5 I2C Cockpit example run on LPC54114 ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will NTAG 5 I2C Cockpit example run on LPC54114 ?

jameswhitney
Contributor II

Greetings,

I figured that one easy way to experiment with the NTAG 5 NFC chip for a prior project - which used the LPC54114 Xpresso board - was to order some NTAG 5 Boost Dev Boards.

I have two issues:

1 - I am wondering if I2C Cockpit binary file "USB-I2C_bridge_LPC11u37h.bin" for the LPC11U37HLPCXpresso board will run on the LPC54114 Xpresso board, without having to chase through both schematics. We know the Arduino portion of the pinout from both boards will work - I'm wondering about some of the other signal lines. If it will not, what are my options ?

2 - I figured I would just flash the LPC54114 board and give it a try. I tried all sorts of connections of jumper JP5 but couldn't get anything to work. After I cleared and deleted the default 'firmware.bin' file, I copied the USB-I2C file mentioned above to the board. But after reset - no matter in what position I had JP5, when I looked at the directory *after* reset the directory always shows that the contents are the original 'firmware.bin' file.

Suggestions ??

Thanks,

Jim

P.S. The point I'm actually trying to reach - maybe stage 2 - is to create an application on the LPC54114 Xpresso which is activated by a smartphone and the Boost Dev board and displays 'Hello, World'.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

nxf58474
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jim,

Hope you are doing well. The "USB-I2C_bridge_LPC11u37h.bin" is for the LPC11u37, using the bin in other MCU could cause unknown behavior and problems.

If you want the USB-I2C bridge to use it with the NTAG 5 I2C Cockpit application, there is this Application Note and the LPC Source code: NTAG 5 Development kit source code and library for LPC microcontrollers, with the USB-I2C bridge implementation, this can help you to migrate the bridge to the LPC54114. Also there are other examples with LPC11u37 (GPIO, Passthrough, PWM).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

0 Kudos

jameswhitney
Contributor II

Hi, Ricardo,

Yes, I absolutely agree. I usually take a more scientific approach, i.e., in this case, comparing the pin-outs, addresses for the peripherals, ...., but I was hoping perhaps that someone had already done this and had the short, quick, answer.

I couldn't get the 'Application Note' you referenced to come up clicking on it from inside my email system - maybe I have to log-in to NXP and try. As you mention, I tried to obtain the library a short while back but it requires a NDA with NXP which I am currently working on getting into place. The other aids I'm using are SW5870.ZIP and SW6090.ZIP I don't think these are for the LPC54114Xpresso either, but that's OK - just trying to look at the general structure/example of the interface between the NTAG5 on the Android side and the interface on the board side (Maybe once I have the NDA in place there will be a more direct example for the LPC54114Xpresso board-side code.). Will be using the Boost version.

I'm working from memory but '5870 and '6090 are duals, i.e., one is the Android code the other is matching 'C' code for the board. I am able to run the Android code on the Android Studio emulator, however, for me, it hangs without printing out the various available NTAG selections to the emulator phone. Would you know if the emulator is capable of replicating NFC operation ? I thought I read somewhere that for this particular Android code to work the code had to be developed on a phone with NFC enabled. I don't want to use my personal phone so will be ordering a 'cheap' Android/NFC phone within the next few days.

Thanks for your response - appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos

nxf58474
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jim,

The available source code/library for a MCU in the NXP page is the SW6090. And even with NDA, now there is no other source code available. Any software update will appear in the page.

For the Android Studio emulator, you should contact them to see if it can handle the NFC operation. Yes, the SW5870 code is for an Android phone with NFC.

Regards,

Ricardo

0 Kudos