Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput Measurement of WIFI module

Jump to solution
JK_Cha
Contributor IV

Hi WIFI champ

I have a question regarding the throughput measurement.

Is there a way to measure throughput between WIFIs by connecting the WIFI module wirelessly or wired to a PC or a smartphone without using a router and an iperf?

Thanks.

Regards, 

Jack

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @JK_Cha 

We always suggest to create new case to track new questions or new issue so that we can track the issue's root cause and solution.

Let me answer here this time, but please create new case to us if you have any other new questions/issues.

I am not sure which kind of performance you want to test, but we usually test Wi-Fi throughput with iperf, test Wi-Fi RF performance with lab tool. For lab tool, we have guidance related to different chipset.

For example, UM11434-- IW416 Labtool User Guide, for 88W9098:88W9098_88Q9098_Labtool_User_Guide (Included in the MFG package) and so on.

We also have Wi-Fi Tx Power Management guide for Linux platform,AN13009.

To test wifi upload/download speed, there are some other applications like Speedtest/WiFi Analizer.

So you may focus and zoom out the question limitations, if the question are too wide and general, it will be too difficult to focus. Please let me know your customer's Wi-Fi chipset and your detail requirement.

Best regards,

Christine.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @james 

It is necessary to use router to make sure Wi-Fi chip/module works in a BSS with your PC. So I think router is necessary.

But iperf is one of the Applications that can measure throughput, you can also use other applications to replace.

For example, NetPerf, FlowGrind, IXCHARIOT and so on.

iperf is a very common and powerful application tool to measure Wi-Fi throughput, so we usually use iperf in common. For other applications, you may need to download and learn how to use it by yourself.

Best regards,

Christine.

0 Kudos
JK_Cha
Contributor IV

Hi Christine,
Could you please make my name unknown? This is because Anyone able to search this thread from google. I don't want to open my name.
Thanks.^^

0 Kudos
Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

HI, @JK_Cha 

I am sorry about that and I have edited.

Hope now it's ok for you.

Best regards,

Christine.

0 Kudos
JK_Cha
Contributor IV

Hi Christine.

I have a more question.  

Customer asked about the use case of WIFI-USB dongle module.

Is there any helpful guidance about the performance measurement for USB-WIFI module?

e.g. tool, test equipment and test scenario and so on. 

Regards,

James

0 Kudos
Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

HI, @JK_Cha 

Please create a new case for this new question and provide detail information(chipset, platform, interface:PCIE.SDIO,USB) and describe your requirement(which kind of performace? RF?) in details.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Christine.

JK_Cha
Contributor IV
Thanks Christine.
Let me accept this as a general solution.
We'll create a new ticket with details regarding the platform they would use. The chipset will be 88w9098 WIFI-6.
0 Kudos
Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @JK_Cha 

We always suggest to create new case to track new questions or new issue so that we can track the issue's root cause and solution.

Let me answer here this time, but please create new case to us if you have any other new questions/issues.

I am not sure which kind of performance you want to test, but we usually test Wi-Fi throughput with iperf, test Wi-Fi RF performance with lab tool. For lab tool, we have guidance related to different chipset.

For example, UM11434-- IW416 Labtool User Guide, for 88W9098:88W9098_88Q9098_Labtool_User_Guide (Included in the MFG package) and so on.

We also have Wi-Fi Tx Power Management guide for Linux platform,AN13009.

To test wifi upload/download speed, there are some other applications like Speedtest/WiFi Analizer.

So you may focus and zoom out the question limitations, if the question are too wide and general, it will be too difficult to focus. Please let me know your customer's Wi-Fi chipset and your detail requirement.

Best regards,

Christine.