cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Go 2 - NFC and ISO/IEC 14443

sicha
Contributor II

Hello,

For a KYC process i need to retrieve some data from credit cards (EMV).

Win 10 provides 2 APIs for NFC comms, ProximityDevice which enable close range comms and SmartCardReader specific for smart card communication.

The embedded NFC module is listed when i use the first api but isn't with the later.

I need to access my card via the SmartCardReader api to send APDU and retrieve the data i want, is there a specific driver to install to do that ?

NB : i went in the device manager and the NXP NFC module driver pre-installed has a "Proximity" class where with a third-party crad reader, its driver has a "SmartCardReader" class.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

ravig
Contributor I

Thanks for your response. I have NxpNfcClientDriver 12.0.5.0 on Surface tablet. I will check with Microsoft on this issue.   

0 Kudos

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, 

yes at the end even if this is an NXP chip in the tablet we cannot know if the manufacturer of the tablet limited its capabilities or have it there to work in a specific way, at the end they decided how this will be working on their product and its limitations. 

for the credit card, you will need an application that expects to interact with an EMVco card, the credit card does not behave as a normal NFC card. my recommendation here would be to confirm that the reader supports EMV and if so that the application you are using is meant for that. 

BR

Jonathan

0 Kudos

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hope you are doing great, for this I would recommend checking with Microsoft since the surface is one of their products, I assume there should be already a PCSC driver for readers, so  please confirm with them since this is not one of our products we cannot comment on its behavior. 

BR

Jonathan 

0 Kudos

sicha
Contributor II

Hi Jonathan,

Indeed, it was a firmware issue, a full update let me access the NXP module as a SmartCard Reader.

My issue now is that it doesn't trigger any event (CardAdded) when i come near the tablet with a Credit Card (or a passport). I tried my code sample with a third party reader (omnikey cardman) on which it works well.

Any idea where it might come from ?

Regards,

0 Kudos

ravig
Contributor I

Hi,

I am not able to access NXP module using SmartCard API on Surface Go 2 tablet. But NXP NFC device is found using ProximityDevice API. It looks like you were able to resolve this issue by firmware update. Could you please let me know how the firmware can be updated and which firmware version works for this? Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks

Ravi

0 Kudos

sicha
Contributor II

Hi, i found a driver at Dell, version 1.0.4.41, 03-07-2016. I can't find the link but google will help you.

The driver enabled the SmartCart Reader as a device but i could not make it work with my credit card reader sample.

After a lengthy discussion with microsoft tech, it seems that the module can only work with Proximity API and not with SmartCard API.

0 Kudos