cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMAC & Security

salah
Contributor III

Hi All,

I am trying to learn more about security and most I found on 802.15.4 MAC 2003 / 2006 MAC security. The IAR I am using doesn't allow any 802.15.4 MAC examples to try. If I would like to try different security mechanism for SMAC which demo should I create from Beekit ? If you have any good documents as reference please share.

Thanks,

Salah

Tags (2)
10 Replies

AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Salah,

Unfortunately, there are not any examples with SMAC codebase using security. If you would like to use such features you may use the 802.15.4 MAC 2003 / 2006 MAC examples. You may get an evaluation version of IAR to be able to try them.

If IAR is not an option, latest MAC codebase included in Beekit could be exported to Codewarrior too. You could download the evaluation version and get unlimited code size for a period of time from Freescale website. Please just note that the officially supported IDE is IAR only. You may use Codewarrior whenever you desire but any issue you may have with the compiler or IDE in general is up to you.

Regards,

AngelC

salah
Contributor III

Thanks a lot AngelC​ for your response. I appreciate your cordial help.

As I am student, I can't buy evolution IAR. I will try Codewarrior for 802.15.4 2003/2006 MAC.

However, I was reading some documents from Freescale, can't recall name, where I found SMAC allows CBC, CTR and CCM. I was wondering, is there any guideline to implement simple security on SMAC on any demo like Wireless UART?

Thanks,
Salah

0 Kudos

AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Salah,

You probably read the MC1322x SMAC reference manual. The MC1322x applications using SMAC supported security features. Nevertheless, KW2x examples do not cover this topic at all. There are not any guidelines to do this either. Any implementation would be application specific. 

If you would like to test the security module, you should use MAC codebase instead. You may download and install an evaluation version of Codewarrior and export the projects from BeeKit. Beside the 802.15.4 specification, there re are some useful links to understand its implementation:

Link: https://community.freescale.com/message/441864

Link: http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN4973.pdf

Regards,

AngelC

salah
Contributor III

Dear AngelC​,

Thanks for your response. Till now I was using IAR now for the first time I am using code-warrior as per your advice. Once I import demo from Bee kit getting many errors. Do you have any instruction on how to run demo using code-warrior from my device?

Thanks and have a nice day!

Salah

0 Kudos

AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Salah,

Please make sure you are using the evaluation version of Codewarrior. The special edition of it will not let you compile such code size. If you are using evaluation version indeed, please provide some screenshots and further details about the application used in order to double check locally.

Regards,

AngelC

0 Kudos

salah
Contributor III

Dear AngelC,

If I would like to import a demo from beekit to codewarrior, how to configure the device with codewarrior? Could you please refer to any documents where I can follow steps to load demo on codewarrior?

Thanks,
Salah

0 Kudos

AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Salah,

Please refer to BeeKit Wireless Connectivity Toolkit User’s Guide – chapter 2.6 Exporting the Solution for further details about exporting and importing the solution.

Link: http://cache.freescale.com/files/rf_if/doc/user_guide/BKWCTKUG.pdf

You could also simply export the solution and select Codewarrior instead of IAR in the Beekit’s prompt message.

Untitled.png

Regards,

AngelC

salah
Contributor III

Thanks! AngelC

0 Kudos

salah
Contributor III

Just wondering, can i use Kinetis Design Studio IDE the newer version. as it has no code size limit.

0 Kudos

AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Salah, 

There might be some future implementations for KDS, which is free indeed, but it is still under development and will take some months to be done. No date has been announced.

Regards,

AngelC

0 Kudos