MKW40Z160 with discrete balun

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MKW40Z160 with discrete balun

jensgraf
Contributor I

I am starting now a plattform design with the MKW40Z160. For some projects it is beneficially to have a discrete LC balun. Therefore the following questions: Is it possible to use a discrete LC balun with the MKW40Z160 ? I assume yes. If yes are there hints or application notes regarding design for discrete balun available ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

EarlOrlando
Senior Contributor II

Hello Jens,

Yes, it is possible to use a discrete balun, however we don't have any reference guide regarding this design. I am afraid that you need to make the complete design.

Best regards,

Earl.

0 Kudos

jensgraf
Contributor I

Hi,

thanks for the answer. I add in the appendix the principle sketch of the discrete balun.

RF_P/N are the balanced pins to the radio, on the right it goes to the antenna. A potential

filter maybe before the antenna for harmoics (this is now not so important).

Can a RF designer check if the principle is ok (fine optimization of values i can do myself) ?

Are the coupling capacitors with 22pF ok or could be bridged ?

thanks in advance!

0 Kudos

EarlOrlando
Senior Contributor II

Hello Jens,

A RF designer has checked your schematic and the principle is Ok. However, since you are in the design stage, he recommended to add a capacitor (as not populated) in series with the inductor L1 in case the matching network requires a trim. Also, he recommended to add an inductor and a capacitor (as not populated) in the balun's input.

pastedImage_0.png

Best regards,

Earl.

0 Kudos