MKW24D512 IAR Embedded Workbench Free Version Code Size Limitation of 32KB, is this enough for a ZigBee application?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MKW24D512 IAR Embedded Workbench Free Version Code Size Limitation of 32KB, is this enough for a ZigBee application?

Jump to solution
atillametetured
Contributor V

Hello,

I was wondering if the 32KB code size limitation of IAR Embedded Workbench free version is viable to build a ZigBee aplication for the MKW24D512 MCU? Did anyone use the free version before? I would like to hear the opinion of Kinetis experts on this matter?

Regards,

Mete

1 Solution
JonathanHess
Contributor III

My experience is scant but easily gained and verified.  It consisted of using the free version of IAR with a demo BeeKit generated project -- yes, it exceeded the 32KB limit.  Not hard for you to repeat for yourself.  It has been a couple of years so if I'm wrong, I'd be happy to be corrected.

Some people like the IAR compiler.  I'm just more use to GCC and Eclipse and really had no personal desire to pay for IAR (IE no paying customer with a deadline).  BeeKit has not been ported to GCC ARM yet.  So, today, there is little other choice.  There has been some suggestions at cobbling together a solution with parts from BeeKit brought into other development environments.  I simply have not tried these.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JonathanHess
Contributor III

Can you build a ZigBee application with the 32KB limit in the free IAR Embedded workbench?  No.

I've been waiting for ZigBee support in KDS for... years.

atillametetured
Contributor V

Hello Jonathan,

Have you got experience programming W series in IAR?

Regards,

Mete

0 Kudos
JonathanHess
Contributor III

My experience is scant but easily gained and verified.  It consisted of using the free version of IAR with a demo BeeKit generated project -- yes, it exceeded the 32KB limit.  Not hard for you to repeat for yourself.  It has been a couple of years so if I'm wrong, I'd be happy to be corrected.

Some people like the IAR compiler.  I'm just more use to GCC and Eclipse and really had no personal desire to pay for IAR (IE no paying customer with a deadline).  BeeKit has not been ported to GCC ARM yet.  So, today, there is little other choice.  There has been some suggestions at cobbling together a solution with parts from BeeKit brought into other development environments.  I simply have not tried these.

atillametetured
Contributor V

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for your time, I believe there are really no choices left for me to buy the IAR since it is a company project and I can get them to pay for it. Yet it is depressing that one has to pay so much, only to program a microcontroller with a ZigBee application, where open source development is encouraged.

Also since you have been very kind to reply, could you also mention if you used the J-Link debugger as your flash programmer for Kinetis programming or any other hardware? Can you share briefly your experinece if possible?

Best Regards,

Mete

0 Kudos
JonathanHess
Contributor III

Yes, I have used the J-Link software for dealing with FRDM boards and KDS.  Works great.

I much prefer to trade off the idea of "programming as a drag and drop file transfer (MSD)" for debugging which is what J-Link gets you.  J-Link automatically loads the software onto the device anyway.

0 Kudos