Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MKW24D Best RF Performance

Jump to solution
bimal
Contributor III

Hi,

I have read earlier question regarding the RF performance of MKW24D, following are some conclusion and queries to address:

- FRDM_MKW24D design has low RF performance (Range,..etc..)

- TWR_MKW24D has better RF performance than FRDM design. Correct me if i am wrong!

I am in process to design MKW24D based Module, where the size of module is having constrains.So i was looking for USB_KWD24D design where PIFA antenna(small size) is used, But i don't have any RF performance related information for that, Can you let me know the Range, RF performance achieved through USB_MKW24D (PIFA antenna) design.

I am also looking for Chip antenna in my design, which are the recommended chip antenna for MKW24D?

Labels (3)
1 Solution
Antonio_Quiroz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi

There are some statements before continue,

• FRDM vs TWR RF performance has some differences but essentially you may notice this on the Range, this due the size constraints and the PIFA implementation, we don’t recommend GND pads/shapes near the antenna.
  • Another difference on the FRDM and TWR for the RF performance are related to harmonic trap components, and we are still working to get the similar results than TWR board, but this kind of implementation needs to  considered for any new design unless the customer copy exactly the RF region not only schematic also the layout and placement. 
  • In case you want to reduce the size of your module we totally recommend the use of the USB-KW24x as baseline, however at the moment NXP doesn’t have any data related to the Meander Antenna (smaller size) performance nor USB range.
  • The use of a chip antenna to reduce the design size it’s possible, however please be aware that it always be a tradeoff with a smaller antennas, and mostly is the performance or energy dissipated as heat (a reduced range compared with a PIFA).
  • In case you select a chip antenna please take in consideration the recommendations and implementation from the manufacturer, each one has their own commendations, but something that most of request a good GND plane as reference and a constraint area where you need to avoid routing anything ( similar to any PIFA antenna).
  • NXP do not have any chip antenna recommended for the MKW24 device on a reference design but if you are going to use the USB-KW24 as baseline in  addition with my previously comments this implementation can be done  through any antenna supplier with all his guidance with a single end port at 50 ohm trace.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
josedanielpena
Contributor II

Hi Bimal, i had good results with a chip antenna from Molex: here's the reference URL: Molex Connector Part Number - 47948-0001

0 Kudos
bimal
Contributor III

Thanks Jose,

I used 2500AT44M0400E which also gave good results, Any way i was looking into your antenna(Molex - 0479480001) design.

Maybe you can help me, can you let me know what was the ground clearance dimensions required with respect to antenna. As i was confused with their datasheet which only says on clearance of 4mm x 4mm. but didn't get details of from where it should be measured.

0 Kudos
Antonio_Quiroz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi

There are some statements before continue,

• FRDM vs TWR RF performance has some differences but essentially you may notice this on the Range, this due the size constraints and the PIFA implementation, we don’t recommend GND pads/shapes near the antenna.
  • Another difference on the FRDM and TWR for the RF performance are related to harmonic trap components, and we are still working to get the similar results than TWR board, but this kind of implementation needs to  considered for any new design unless the customer copy exactly the RF region not only schematic also the layout and placement. 
  • In case you want to reduce the size of your module we totally recommend the use of the USB-KW24x as baseline, however at the moment NXP doesn’t have any data related to the Meander Antenna (smaller size) performance nor USB range.
  • The use of a chip antenna to reduce the design size it’s possible, however please be aware that it always be a tradeoff with a smaller antennas, and mostly is the performance or energy dissipated as heat (a reduced range compared with a PIFA).
  • In case you select a chip antenna please take in consideration the recommendations and implementation from the manufacturer, each one has their own commendations, but something that most of request a good GND plane as reference and a constraint area where you need to avoid routing anything ( similar to any PIFA antenna).
  • NXP do not have any chip antenna recommended for the MKW24 device on a reference design but if you are going to use the USB-KW24 as baseline in  addition with my previously comments this implementation can be done  through any antenna supplier with all his guidance with a single end port at 50 ohm trace.
bimal
Contributor III

Hi NXP Team,

Any Updates on below thread, Looking for your feedback!!

0 Kudos