Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KW41z vs R41z

Jump to solution
sudhin_deshpand
Contributor I

Hi,

We are planning to buy KW41Z eval kit and noticed that Rigado have come up with R41z eval kit.

What are the differences? Other than it contains one board vs two boards from NXP.

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
1 Solution
santiago_lopez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sudhindra

Both are good evaluation boards. The main difference is that R41Z evaluates the Rigado module that is the complete RF portion of the system in a PCB that you "plug" to your design. FRDM-KW41Z will allow you to do hardware modifications to the RF circuit or more flexibility in the circuit location on PCB, but once you design your product you will need to implement the RF part in your PCB considering RF best practices.

So the decision will depend on what do you need for your application.

Regards

Santiago

View solution in original post

5 Replies
karel_povalac
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi sudhin_deshpande@yahoo.com‌, also good to mention the SW support. All the SW examples running on the FRDM-KW41Z should run on the R41Z-EVAL board without any issues. You can directly use the Kinetis KW41Z Connectivity Software.

Regards,

Karel

0 Kudos
santiago_lopez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sudhindra

Both are good evaluation boards. The main difference is that R41Z evaluates the Rigado module that is the complete RF portion of the system in a PCB that you "plug" to your design. FRDM-KW41Z will allow you to do hardware modifications to the RF circuit or more flexibility in the circuit location on PCB, but once you design your product you will need to implement the RF part in your PCB considering RF best practices.

So the decision will depend on what do you need for your application.

Regards

Santiago

bobr-rigado
Contributor III

Hello Sudhindra,

Both the R41Z-EVAL and FRD-KW41Z eval boards operate the same.  When considering your design based on the KW41Z, though you can save time and money by using the R41Z.  The R41Z RF transmitter and antenna design has been tested and certified in several world regions, allowing you to avoid performing your own transmitter tests.  When using the KW41Z itself, you will need design your own antenna section and go through all of the transmitter certifications for each target world region.

Regards,

Bob Recny

Rigado FAE

evgenyerlihman
Contributor IV

Hello Bob,

Would i be able to actually write my own firmware to run on R41Z or does it work like a "black box" with a set of commands i can send to it to change the operation mode?

0 Kudos
bobr-rigado
Contributor III

Hi Evgeny,

Apologies for the delay.  Everything that can be done with the KW41Z can also be done with the R41Z.