Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KW41Z commissioner on mobile phone

Jump to solution
evgenyerlihman
Contributor IV

Hello,

I am evaluating the mesh capabilities of the KW41z chip, and was able to run the commissioner and node demo apps on two frdm41z board. I see that in the example there is a hardcoded meshRawCommissioningData_t structure on the node side that should be provided by the commissioner. Both documentation and the code has "Raw bytes interpreted internally as commissioning data" explanation for the contents of the meshRawCommissioningData_t, which is (in provided example): 

meshRawCommissioningData_t gRawCommData =
{
.bytes = { 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01, 0x01,
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
BD_ADDR_ID, 0x01 }
};

My question is: is it possible to implement the commissioner on a mobile device and assume that everything other than the BD_ADDR_ID is constant? So the commissioner on the mobile device can just keep track of how many nodes we have in the mesh and assign/recycle BD_ADDR_ID's to new nodes?

Thanks,

Evgeny

Labels (2)
1 Solution
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Evegy,

As you know the BLE Mesh Standard isn't launched, so our BLE Mesh is only a custom example.

The KW41 supports two connections at the same time, Unfortunately, that implementation is not possible, the BLE Mesh works on Advertising packets, and the libraries aren't the same like the other examples. So, the kw41 doesn't has a library that supports a connection and being part of BLE Mesh.

Best Regards,

Mario

View solution in original post

3 Replies
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Evgeny,

As you know the BLE Mesh is a custom application, we create this implementation and show an idea that how the BLE Mesh could work. So this implementation is not for development,

The mobile device can control de network, but you have to be sure and create the advertisement packet. Also the mobile that you are using must support the advertiser feature.

Kinetis Bluetooth® Low Energy Mesh User's Guide

2.3 Packet format

Hope it helps.

Mario

evgenyerlihman
Contributor IV

Hello Mario,

Regarding the BLE Mesh on KW41Z, on Kinetis W Series: Wireless Connectivity Microcontrollers (MCUs) based on ARM® Cortex®-M0+/M4 Core|NX... 

I see the "BLE Mesh" column with a check mark for 31/41 proccessors, so i thought that NXP actually provides a software stack for this feature, and not just hardware capabilities. Is this not the case?

Looking at this presentation: HMB-N1963 Bluetooth Smart Mesh - Simple and Easy to Use Low Power Wireless Networking Protocol.pdf 

I see 

For legacy devices (e.g. smartphone that cannot advertise), a second, GATT-based Bearer is provided

Doesnt this mean that KW41Z is supposed to be able to talk to a mobile device via BLE while being part of BLE Mesh?

Thanks,

Evgeny

0 Kudos
mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Evegy,

As you know the BLE Mesh Standard isn't launched, so our BLE Mesh is only a custom example.

The KW41 supports two connections at the same time, Unfortunately, that implementation is not possible, the BLE Mesh works on Advertising packets, and the libraries aren't the same like the other examples. So, the kw41 doesn't has a library that supports a connection and being part of BLE Mesh.

Best Regards,

Mario