Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KW36A OTA

danieltseng
Contributor V

pastedImage_1.png

Question:

1.Which KW36 SDK example can use OTA updates, from OTA phone to BLE Master ?
2.Which KW36 SDK example can use OTA updates, from BLE Master to BLE Slave ?
3. If the OTA can go from BLE Master to BLE Slave, which example that can update four BLE slaves at once?

Labels (1)
  • KW

5 Replies

danieltseng
Contributor V

After your detailed explanation, I have already understood, thank you very much.

0 Kudos

Sebastian_Del_Rio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Daniel,

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Best regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos

danieltseng
Contributor V

Organize your reply:
chapter 5.19 of the BLE Demo Applications User Guide,
There are only two OTA: Test Tool to Board and IOT toolbox to Board

1. OTA update from OTA phone to BLE Master
  Ans: Yes, KW36 support it ?
         Use ATT / l2cap.srec from BLE OTAP sever to BLE OTAP Client board via OTA,
 pastedImage_1.png
2. OTA update from BLE Master to BLE Slave
  Ans: Yes, KW36 supported it ?
         Which two SDK example( Master、Slave) can be implemented? Give me example path.

3. BLE Master update four BLE slaves
  Ans: Yes, KW36 supporte it ?
         Need to modify gAppMaxConnections_c,
         Which SDK example is to be modified?

Hope can be explained in order, because I don't know which example corresponds to each of the 3 questions?
I need your detailed description

thanks.

0 Kudos

Sebastian_Del_Rio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Daniel,

To better explain myself, and to answer your questions:

The OTA Client examples (otac_att and otac_l2cap) configure a KW36 device as the receiver of the OTA update, which can be transferred to the device by an OTA Server in the form of a mobile phone, or a KW36 programmed with the OTAP Server (otas) example, connected to a computer.

Specifically:

1. The KW36Z supports OTAP Programming from a mobile phone (either iOS or Android with the IOT Toolbox app installed) to a KW36 device programmed with the otac_att or otac_l2cap examples, this is explained in section 5.19.5 of the BLE Demo Applications User Guide. In this case, the mobile phone is configured as a Central device, while the OTAP Client KW36 is configured as a Peripheral device.
  2. The KW36Z supports a transfer from an OTAP Server device connected to a computer, to an OTAP Client device. In this case, the OTAP Server is working as a Central Device, while the OTAP Client is set-up as a Peripheral device. This is explained in chapter 5.19.4 of the BLE Demo Applications User Guide.
  3. The existing implementation of the OTAP Server example only allows connection with one device, and the code only considers sending the OTAP file to a single device at a time. To allow it to transfer to 4 devices at the same time, substantial code modifications would have to be done to the OTAP Server code. These modifications include, but are not limited to, changing the number of maximum connections allowed, changing the method for transferring the data to four devices at once, instead of just transferring to one, managing connection to more than one device at a time, among other additional considerations.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Best regards,

Sebastian

Sebastian_Del_Rio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Daniel, I hope you're doing well!

There's three different OTA SDK examples available within the package, each implementing different functionality:

The two OTAP Client examples each implement different OTAP transfer methods, either using ATT or L2CAP CoC, and the OTAP Server example opens a connection from the board to a PC, and essentially works as a middleman between the Test Tool running in the computer and the OTAP Client device.

Depending on the transfer method that's going to be implemented, the receiving OTAP Client device should be programmed with the corresponding example.

As for the OTAP Server, the Test Tool has some configurations available to change settings such as transfer speed and method.

The current implementation allows the OTAP Server device to be connected to only one peripheral device at a given time, established by the way it was coded, and the following macro definition:

/*! Maximum number of connections supported for this application */
#define gAppMaxConnections_c           1

Thus, updating 4 devices at once would require considerable modification of the OTAP Server SDK example. 

The Test Tool is available to download from our website here.

More detailed information about the OTAP example applications can be found in chapter 5.19 of the BLE Demo Applications User Guide, included in the SDK package in the following path:

<…\SDK_2.2.2_FRDM-KW36 - MCUXpresso\docs\wireless\Bluetooth\Bluetooth Low Energy Demo Applications User Guide.pdf>

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Best regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos