KW36: Pairing request not initiated by iphone to KW36 in some half paired scenario

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KW36: Pairing request not initiated by iphone to KW36 in some half paired scenario

skalyan2
Contributor IV

Hi,

I use KW36 with hid device example and my kw36 acts as a peripheral (slave) device.

Mode 1 level 2 is security.

I try the following usecase 1 :

(a) Pair ios with kw36.

(b)  Delete the bond in KW36

(c) I go to ios settings -> bluetooth screen and try to click the KW36 device

Expected behaviour : 

I expect iphone shall initiate a pairing request and start pairing , unfortunately it does not

Actual Behaviour :

I could see that i initiate the security request to ios but ios does not initiate the pairing request.

But i try one more usecase 2 which is almost similar to above (half paired scenario) : 

(a) Pair ios with kw36.

(b) Delete the bond in iphone

(c) I try to scan from ios settings->bluetooth screen and after kw36 gets scanned successfully, i try to  connect, in this case it is initiating pairing request successfully after my peripheral device sending the security request.

Please let me understand why half pairing is not working in case of usecase 1 but working in case of usecase 2.

Regards,

Sai Kalyana Raman

Labels (3)
2 Replies

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Sai,

I have been checking the issue that you are facing.

The Bluetooth Specification provides that this security level requires encryption, but in this specific case, the KW is rejecting the encryption, but it doesn't mean that the devices should be disconnect. The peripheral could have some characteristics that could be read or write without any encryption. 

I recommend 2 workarounds:

Central side: If the IOS gets a rejecting response from the KW device, the application could erase all the bonding information and try to connect again.

Peripheral side: If the Bluetooth stack receives the encryption request, you could check what is the returning status, if it rejects the connection you could start all the paring process again.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Sai,

I am checking this issue. I think I reproduced this issue by my side. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Mario