Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JTAG Debugging on JN5168

mferrari1
Contributor III

The JN516x Data Sheet, Chapter 14 says:

JTAG Test Interface
The JN516x includes an IEEE1149.1 compliant JTAG port for the purpose of manufacturing test. The software debugger is not supported with this product.

Does this mean that I can't use the BeyondStudio IDE to do JTAG Debugging (breakpoints, etc...) on the JN5168 Module?  If JTAG debugging IS supported, then what is the meaning of this statement?

If JTAG debugging is supported, I'd like to make a provision on my target PCB to connect the Beyond Debug Key directly to my target PCB.  I have reviewed the information in the Beyond Debug Key document, but is there an NXP App Note specifically showing how to accomplish the JTAG interface to the JN5168 (e.g. Pull-Up resistors, specific connections, any necessary adjustments in the build (or otherwise) to use JTAG Debugging?

Surely this must be a common question, but I don't seem to be able to find any single definitive document with instructions about how to do this.

Thanks in advance for answering the above questions and for pointing me to the appropriate document(s).

Matt

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

mferrari1
Contributor III

Please note, I AM aware of JN-AN-1203, but this document is only useful if someone has purchased the Evaluation Kit (NXP JN516x-EK001) and the JTAG Expansion Board (NXP DR1222), as all the instructions in this App Note describe how to configure and plug the various boards together, but provide NO schematics for understanding what the actual connections are between the Beyond Debug Key and the JN5168!

My goal is a simple one.  How to interface the Beyond Debug Key directly to a JN5168-001-M0x module.  Particularly Pins 17 & 19 of the Beyond Debug Key.  It appears that possibly Pin 17 is used in conjunction with the Reset line to signal the JN5168 to initiate JTAG by pulling the SPIMISO line low at reset? 

Also pins 17 & 19 on the Beyond Debug Key are supposed to be for a UART debug port, but on the JN5168 Module RXD0 and JTAG_TDI share the same pin...

A simple wiring diagram showing how to connect the Beyond Debug Key to the signal lines of the JN5168 is all I'm looking for, but I can't seem to find this anywhere!

Can anyone please provide this simple connection interface description?

Thank You!

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

By any chance does the JN-RD-6036 helps your purpose? It does not only provide the schematic, BOM, gerbers and pads of the DR1222 but also it has more schematics and documents of the rest of the expansion boards (including the main board). 

Regards,

Estephania 

0 Kudos

mferrari1
Contributor III

Hi Estephania –

I have read JN-RM-2063 v2.0 and there is still something that is not clear – I’m hoping you can clarify…

On Page-43, Section 7.2 “Jumpers” the first bullet discusses the U1RX signal, saying it belongs to UART1. On the JN5168, this signal would be named RXD1 and is the same pin that’s used to connect the 32kHz Crystal to the JN5168.

I’m thinking maybe this a mistake? Should the bullet actually say that J3 selects between RXD0 and MISO?

The schematic for DR1174 uses the JN5139, not the JN5168 – maybe this is part of the confusion?

I will be using BeyondStudio to develop and debug my JN5168 design and want to use the Beyond Debug Key as my JTAG interface.

Probably the simplest way for you to clear up the confusion is to simply answer the following question:

1) When the Beyond Debug Key (BDK) uses Pin-17 on the BDK Connector for UART communications with the JN5168 Module, BDK Connector Pin-17 should connect to which Pin Number on the JN5168-001-Myy module?

Please also answer these two questions:

2) When the Beyond Debug Key (BDK) needs to put the JN5168 into JTAG mode, will the BDK drive Pin-17 on the BDK connector High or Low?

3) When the BDK is not driving Pin-17 to enter JTAG mode, will Pin-17 still be driven or will it be in a high impedance state?

Thank you Estephania, I look forward to your answers to these questions.

Matt

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

If you check the datasheet (Table 6) of the module and the JN516x you will be able to see that there is an alternative pin of RXD1 which  it's the DIO15 not only the one you mention of the crystal and it is mentioned as the JTAG one. 

pastedImage_1.png

The expansion board for debugging works for the JN5168 and JN5169 as we have tested, and even though you debug with it you will have to load the binary first and then debug it as mentioned in the JN516x JTAG Debugging in BeyondStudio  (JN-AN-1203) you already know. 

When the Beyond Debug Key (BDK) needs to put the JN5168 into JTAG mode, will the BDK drive Pin-17 on the BDK connector High or Low?

For JTAG mode it needs to be high.

3)      When the BDK is not driving Pin-17 to enter JTAG mode, will Pin-17 still be driven or will it be in a high impedance state?

JTAG programming mode: must be left floating high during reset to avoid entering JTAG programming mode.

UART programming mode: leave pin floating high during reset to avoid entering UART programming mode or hold it low to program

Please remember that you need to have as well the correct binary loaded into the JN before considering the debug. 

Regarding the rest of the behavior of the  Beyond Debug Key (BDK) , the only information we have available its the one on the page, because as you might know the BDK it's not made by NXP but Beyond Semiconductors. 

Regards, 

Estephania 

0 Kudos

mferrari1
Contributor III

Hi Estephania –

Thank you for telling me about JN-RD-6036 this information is very helpful.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos