cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JN5168: ZPS_eAplAfInit() cause high current consumption

witoldsowa
Contributor II

Hi,

I had JN5168 constantly powered for 2-3 months and functioning correctly as a ZigBee PRO router with some Home Automation cluster until recently.

Now I can see the chip starts to draws c.a. 300mA of current @ 3.3V as soon as I call ZPS_eAplAfInit() function. Until then the current is around 30mA. Interestingly the MCU functions correctly, I can program the chip and run the code. IO works ok too. I can see on the sniffer it transmits Beacon Requests but seems like it ignores the Beacons from coordinator (network discovery fails with MAC_ENUM_NO_BEACON). Also the internal temp sensor when read with ADC reads 0. So the symptoms really are

- 300mA of current consumption and chip getting quite warm (300mA x 3.3V = 1W)

- temp sensor or ADC not working

- receiver not working

I will reiterate that the device was working ok for 2-3 months 24/7. I suspect permanent damage to the IC.

So the question is: What can be the problem? What can be the route cause?

Regards,

Witek.

Labels (1)
  • JN

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

witoldsowa
Contributor II

Hi,

I've disconnected all the components other then C, R and L specified in the datasheet and the problem remains. As soon as I call ZPS_eAplAfInit() the current draw goes high.

I did however desolder and resolder JN5168 and the problem went away what suggest one of the two:

1. There was some poor quality solder which got solved by resoldering

2. Treating the chip with 300C hotair "fixed" it's internal defect. Is it likely at all?

0 Kudos

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Witold,

Great!!! Probably, you had some leakage current in the solder.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Witold,

It looks that you damage the JN device.

Some suggestions to find out the root cause of this.

-Could you please remove components from your board? If some devices are consuming more current.

-Measure the pins of the JN if they are not in low impedance.

-What are the sensors that you have connected?

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos