cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instructions on how to use the USB-KW41Z Thread Border Router demo

Jump to solution
stevenriedl
Contributor III

I can't seem to find the directions on how to flash the border router demo on to the two chips on the KW41Z. I found it once, but my computer and network search is failing me.

As I remember the instruction used the SWD headers and J-Link, is it possibly to use the embedded Link to program the KW41Z and then program the K55 with the RESET file copy loader?

1 Solution
santiago_lopez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Steven,

For running the Border Router demo in USB-KW41 you will need to load 2 different firmware applications. MKW41 must be flashed with the Border Router Demo located in C:\NXP\MKW41Z_ConnSw_1.0.2\boards\usbkw41z_kw41z\wireless_examples\thread\border_router\freertos (if you choose the default installation path). K22F must be loaded with the rndis_bridge application located in C:\NXP\MKW41Z_ConnSw_1.0.2\boards\usbkw41z_k22f\wireless_examples\framework\rndis_bridge\FreeRTOS.

If your USB-KW41Z is new, you can load the Border Router demo to the KW41Z using the embedded debugger. Nevertheless, once you flash the K22F with the rndis bridge application, you will need to flash the KW41Z using the J1 connector with an external debugger. K22F can only be programmed using an external debugger on J6.

Instructions on how to use the demo can be found in the Kinetis Thread Stack Demo Applications User's Guide located in C:\NXP\MKW41Z_ConnSw_1.0.2\docs\wireless\Thread.

Regards,

Santiago

View solution in original post

6 Replies
santiago_lopez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Steven,

For running the Border Router demo in USB-KW41 you will need to load 2 different firmware applications. MKW41 must be flashed with the Border Router Demo located in C:\NXP\MKW41Z_ConnSw_1.0.2\boards\usbkw41z_kw41z\wireless_examples\thread\border_router\freertos (if you choose the default installation path). K22F must be loaded with the rndis_bridge application located in C:\NXP\MKW41Z_ConnSw_1.0.2\boards\usbkw41z_k22f\wireless_examples\framework\rndis_bridge\FreeRTOS.

If your USB-KW41Z is new, you can load the Border Router demo to the KW41Z using the embedded debugger. Nevertheless, once you flash the K22F with the rndis bridge application, you will need to flash the KW41Z using the J1 connector with an external debugger. K22F can only be programmed using an external debugger on J6.

Instructions on how to use the demo can be found in the Kinetis Thread Stack Demo Applications User's Guide located in C:\NXP\MKW41Z_ConnSw_1.0.2\docs\wireless\Thread.

Regards,

Santiago

stevenriedl
Contributor III

One slight addition to the instructions. I'm using windows 10 and I had to manually 

Windows-X, open a CMD window (admin privy)

pnputil /a C:\NXP\(follow the path to the NDIS driver in the Thread Demo Application Guide)

Then after a reboot the correct driver was loaded and I had an NDIS device.

0 Kudos
norishinozaki
Contributor V

Steven,

For me, the RNDIS driver is OK.

How do you get a shell  interface from USB-KW41Z?

J1(KW41Z SWD) header on USB-KW41Z?

Regards,

Nori Shinozaki

0 Kudos
alejandra_guzman
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The USB-KW41 RNDIS border router example does not support shell interface because there's only one USB port and it's already being occupied by the RNDIS. But you can create a thread network by double short pressing SW1. 

Boards like the FRDM-KW24D512 have the possibility of connecting two USB cables the KW24 USB for RNDIS, and a second cable for the OpenSDA with virtual COM used for shell. 

davidandresky
Contributor II

Hi, not sure if this thread is still open, but I am having the same problem opening a shell interface and it doesn't show up as a network device. Your statement about not supporting a shell interface is confusing. The getting started portion of the website has a step for the shell interface. The demo app user guide has instructions for setting up a network using shell commands. And the FRDM-KW41Z board supports a shell interface with only one USB port.

0 Kudos
norishinozaki
Contributor V

Hello Lopez,

I'm following "Kinetis Thread Stack Demo Applications User's Guide" for testing USB-KW41Z Border Router demo.

I can't get a "NXP USB RNDIS"  interface with FD01:: IPv6 address in Windows PC, but I can't get a shell interface.

In the "Running the scenario" In page 75, the doc says:

• For Node A, connect USB cables to the PC on both:
o the OpenSDA / OpenLink USB
o the direct-to-KW24 USB

I tried to connect J-Link to KW41Z and K22F SWD port, but  "JLink CDC UART Port" doesn't respond in my terminal.

Where is the OpenSDA / OpenLink USB port on USB-KW41Z?

Best regards,

Nori Shinozaki

0 Kudos