cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve range PNEV7462C

amighri
Contributor II

Hi, 

My question is : Is it possible to reach out to 30-40 cm range for PNEV7462C to exchange data with NTAG5 Link using other Antenna ? If yes, how can we do that ?  Because in the NTAG data sheet says that the NTAG 5 link can reach to 60 cm. But our problem here is to improve the range of the reader.

Is there any Application note / Example about improving range and different methods to achieve that ? 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Fabian_R
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in our products.
Our PN7462 Evaluation board is designed for reading RFID products at a distance no greater than 8cm. We don't actually have an Application Note that described how the Evaluation Board is able to read greater distances. Unfortunately, PN7462 IC isn't fully capable of reading longer distances.
If you please check AN11706, section 3.1 Optimum Antenna Coil the distance our IC is designed to work with a 10cm diameter and operating distance of almost 7cm.
I'm sorry for the problems this may cause.

Best Regards,
Fabian
0 Kudos

amighri
Contributor II

Hi @Fabian_R ,

Thank you for your response. But the NTAG data sheet  says that the NTAG 5 link can reach to 60 cm. In some application even to 70 cm. What reader from NXP can reach out to read the NTAG 5 from such a distance ? What factors other than Anetnna size are important for the reader to read RFID products at a great distance. 

I also have the OM29263ADK Antenna developement Kit   to experiment with using some other customer antenna and see if we can have a better range. 

Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos

Fabian_R
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,
Yes, due to the NTAG 5 being compliant with the Vicinity standard (ISO 15693). The IC itself is able to communicate with a reader at 60 cm or more. But unfortunately, we don't have any documentation that may guide you to the design of an antenna that can achieve this reading distance. The same happens with our readers, the IC itself can read an ISO15693 RFID tag at greater distances but, I wasn't able to locate any other community thread or document that may provide any guidance.
Please find some recommendations regarding this topic in the next link:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/Other-NXP-Products/CLRC663-Long-range-reader-up-to-50cm/td-p/1204941

I'm sorry for the problems this may cause.

Best Regards,
Fabian
0 Kudos

amighri
Contributor II

Hi @Fabian_R , 

Can we improve the range of reading through designing a new antenna for the Tag ? What link between Antenna Size of the tag and reading range and how can be that optimized ?  

How should be the Antennna shapewise (circular, rectangular ... ) and why ? Is there any documentation from NXP that may help us to understand the link between Antenna Size of the Tag and the reading range ? 

Thanks

0 Kudos

amighri
Contributor II

Hi @Fabian_R   

Thanks for your response. 

is it pssoble to use The ICODE SLIX2. To reach this range ? It says that it can go for 1.5 m range 

Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos