cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a Zigbee HA gateway?

jamesattard_
Contributor I

Hi All,

I am currently working on a project where I want to create a Zigbee gateway that other off the shelf sensors can communicate with. Since I am interested in mostly Home safety sensors such as PIRs, smoke alarms, magnetic switches etc I want to be able to communicate with devices using HA zigbee standard.

I have seen a lot of gateways that use Wifi or Ethernet to connect to the internet. In my case the gateway won't be connecting to any internet but I will just be using a long distance communication method (~5km) in order to see if any of the sensors are activated. The method I am using transmits only 10bytes per second so it is quite slow and can only transmit no receiving at the gateway end.

My plan is to use a JN5168 module to communicate with a microcontroller which will take care of transmitting the data.

I don't have much experience in this area so want to know the below:

• What would be adequate system specs for this system? I found some Linux gateway programs so does that mean that the uC that I use be able to support Linux?
  • Is it possible to have the zigbee HA standard applied on just the JN516X modules or is there typically some back-end which takes part of the load?
  • Where should I start are there any sample gateway programs provided by NXP?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi James,

As you know, the JN includes a 2.4 GHz IEEE802.15.4 compliant transceiver. But, you want to work around the 5Km, so you are not able to achieve that distance. If you are trying to achieve that distance, I recommend to you take a look at the sub-1 GHz Family.

Sub-1 GHz Wireless Solutions|NXP 

Also, we provide examples that can help you with your application. 

Embedded SW | SIGFOX | OL2385|NXP 

Best Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos

jamesattard_
Contributor I

Hi Mario,

Sorry for the misunderstanding but I am going to use the zigbee gateway for a local short distance communication ~50m. Then instead of using 2G or Wifi like other gateways that I can find on the market I want the gateway to use Sigfox.

That way I can have a short distance zigbee network which includes multiple sensors and then this is connected to my backend using Sigfox.

Thanks and regards

James

0 Kudos

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi James,

Great!, Please take a look the ZigBee 3.0|NXP  the JN-AN-1216 control bridge will be a good example for it.

Please let me know if it is useful or not.

Best Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos