How can I turn off wireless module for current consumption in jn5168?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I turn off wireless module for current consumption in jn5168?

epamuk
Contributor I

Hi,  

I use JN5168 wireless module and I write codes inside it.  I read data from an accelometer  in every 100ms and I send data via wireless in every 60sec.  My wireless communication spends 2-3 sec. for current consumpiton I want to turn off radio while 50 sec. And I want to turn on before sending.

I write my code on AN1180_154_HomeSensorEnd .

16Mhz

I use below code 

if ( wirelessCommInProgress == FALSE && PowerChangeTime==TRUE ){

if ( Power== ON ){
      vAppApiRestoreMacSettings();   
   }else {
      vAppApiSaveMacSettings();
      vAHI_ProtocolPower(FALSE);
   }

}

After  ProtocolPower(FALSE) funciton current  decreases 1mA ( 3.5mA to 2.5mA) and after RestoreMacSettings I cant send datas any more.

1. Is there any trick for using this function ?

2. How can I turn off and turn on radio  (not going to sleep)

3. Is there any apNote or demo code for JN5168 module  power consumption ?

4. While co-ordinator is off. my end device always scanning for co-ordinator and spends 17mA. after protocolPower(FALSE)  current reduces to 16mA. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Erdem,

1. To turn on/off the radio, the above functions are correct (vAHI_ProtocolPower, vAppApiSaveMacSettings, vAppApiRestoreMacSettings); guidance on how to use these can be found in the JN-UG-3087 user guide, as well as, the example code attached.

2. The attached example code is based on the AN1180_154_HomeSensor-Demo Application; it sends data every 2 seconds and turns off the radio for around 1.5s between sending data. (Tested using the JN-SW-4163 SDK v1307).

3. This could be due to calling the function vAHI_ProtocolPower(FALSE) while the 802.15.4 MAC layer is active which can cause incorrect behaviour in the device (see function description in the JN-UG-3087 user guide).  In the attached application, a change in current consumption of about 15mA was observed from when the end device is in doze and the radio off (~8mA) to when the radio is on and the end device is not in doze(~23mA).

4. "after RestoreMacSettings I cant send data any more"
More application context may need to be restored, for example, in the AN1180_154_HomeSensor-Demo Application attached, the end device needs to re-synchronise with the coordinator after the radio is turned back on, in order to continue sending data.

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos