Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get RSSI or signal strength of connected WIFI access point

Jump to solution
dvlogic
Contributor III

Hi,

We are replacing an existing IoT product with one based on an i.MX8MN processor and a wireless module based on the NXP 88W8987 chip.  In our current product (MediaTek based), we report the connected signal quality (0 to 100) and RSSI to the user when we deem the signal is low and the user could have problems.  

I've been trying to figure out how to get similar metrics from the IMX Linux based solution we are moving to.  From old documents there appears to have been some iwpriv commands to retrieve this, but these seem to no longer work with the current driver [driver_version = SD8987----16.92.10.p210-MM5X16247.p5-GPL-(FP92)].

I'm hoping someone knows a way to get this information.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alexis_A
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @dvlogic,

Could you try the command mlanutl mlan0 getsignal 1? This should get the RSSI info (beacon last, beacon average, data last and data average)

Best Regards,

Alexis Andalon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dvlogic
Contributor III

Hi,  I've been using mlanutl to get RSSI signal strength and it was working great.  However, I'm in the process of upgrading to the "kirkstone" based release of NXP Linux (since it has long-term support LTS).  It appears the mapp directory is no longer included in the git branch of "nxp-wlan-sdk" so the mlanutl no longer is built or available.  Is there something I'm missing about building the tool?  Alternatively, is there a better way now to read the RSSI signal strength?

Thanks -- dave

0 Kudos
Alexis_A
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @dvlogic,

Could you try the command mlanutl mlan0 getsignal 1? This should get the RSSI info (beacon last, beacon average, data last and data average)

Best Regards,

Alexis Andalon

0 Kudos