cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware of 88W8864 and 88W8964

jbsky
Contributor I

Hello,

I took the liberty of improving the opensource driver exposed in a github repository https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi.git.

I've identified why WPA3 wasn't working and fixed most of the problems affecting this chip. Yes, the wrt1900ac is now usable. As far as I'm concerned, it's running on its own with around 20 devices and it's finally doing the job.
I'm happy with it! A year of work...

* I read in the chip's brochure that it normally supports MIMO. Today, this is clearly not the case.

* MESH standard ieee80211s doesn't work. The encryption part of the chip (firmware) always seems to encrypt from the 30th byte. The firmware needs to be improved.

* Features exist, and we don't have a doc for an open source driver.

* WPA3 on the 8964 chip is still KO.

Today, let's work together, we need someone from your company to work on firmwares 8864 and 8964. If you make an effort, you'll win.

Thank you for considering this message,

Best regards,

Julien Blais

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

DanielRuvalcaba
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @jbsky,

The 88W8864 and 88W8964 are not recommended for new designs. You can find all our supported products in the Product Longevity program.

I'd recommend you to take a look to the official repositories for both driver and firmware. And in here you can find the supported Wi-Fi SoC's.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this might cause you.

Regards,

Daniel.

0 Kudos

jbsky
Contributor I

Hi @DanielRuvalcaba ,

I hope you're well.

But why are you trying to sell me another one of your products?
As a reminder, it's the chips that NPX owns today that were sold by Linksys on these small routers intended for home use.

My request is that one of your developers tell me how to make 802.11s with the current firmware.
I need an offset on the encryption part of the MESH header length.
I'll code the driver part

Thanks for answering my request.

Best regards,

Jbsky

0 Kudos

theine
Contributor I

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your reply and insights.

Considering the identified concerns, I'm curious to know if there is any way NXP could contribute to improving the stability of the driver. For instance, releasing additional documentation for the open source driver, providing assistance in enhancing the firmware for the 8864 and 8964 chips, or possibly releasing the sources for the current firmware could be valuable steps.

Your insights on this matter would be highly appreciated, and any information on potential collaboration or support from NXP in addressing these challenges, including the possibility of releasing the sources, would be beneficial for the community working on these projects.

I also wanted to bring to your attention another related thread in the community [link to the thread: https://community.nxp.com/t5/Wireless-Connectivity/Drivers-for-88W8964/m-p/997496], where users are expressing their need for improved drivers and offering support to address the challenges faced.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best,

Dominik