cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth SIG Certification - KW36Z - RF-PHY Test INCONCLUSIVE

rushi_gajjar
Contributor I

Hello,

We are currently under the process of the SIG Certification and performing the RF-PHY layer testing at the BQTF for our hardware design based on KW36Z. The HCI_BB version has been taken from the SDK 2.2.6 / 2.2.7 and the DUT is connected through the UART-HCI communication to the test setup. The RF Feed is connected through the u.FL connector to the CMW tester.

Out of 10 RF-PHY test cases, we have below two test cases which are ending with inconclusive (attached test reports for each), all other 8 test cases related to RF-PHY are passed using the same setup.
  1. RF-PHY/TRM/BV-05-C
  2. RF-PHY/TRM/BV-06-C
We also manually tried sending the HCI commands through the "Test Tool 12" from NXP but the same issues observed. HCI-Reset and HCI Commands are going through and we are getting response so this does not seem to be the case HCI Setup. (Attached Images).
0 Kudos
11 Replies

christophe_menard
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi nxa20520 (maybe a name could be better for a good communication)

Do you have any feedback concerning the HCI_bb test using a FRDM-KW3x board ?

Please, comment.

0 Kudos

Xiang_Li
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christophe,

Updated my name. The community system didn't allow changing user id before. And now didn't allow to use spaces in the user names ... which is rather unfriendly.

Anyways, I don't think there is issue in the HCI_bb, based on the response from rushi_gajjar. Because they see continuous packets sending after DTM_START_TEST. So looks ok to me. We want to exclude the case where HCI_bb only send a fixed number of packets and then stops automatically.

So for no new post from rushi_gajjar, hope they have find the root cause.

Kind regards,
Xiang

0 Kudos

christophe_menard
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Xiang Li,

Thanks for your feedback.

I did the check in my side using a FRDM-KW38 board.

The tests succeed.

Find the CMWrun report in case it's needed.

rushi_gajjar
Contributor I

Please find attached the HCI Log for the reference. Please note this is for the Frequency 2402MHz, 37byte packet length and pattern 11110000.

Just bringing up the question from my last post, By default how many packets would be sent by KW36 by entering the command (01 1E 20 03 00 25 01) once? Attached Image for reference.

0 Kudos

Xiang_Li
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The log file looks correct to me. HCI command flow works as intended.

>> how many packets are being sent through the HCI_BB layer by default?

I understood from Bluetooth spec that the packet should be unlimited until a TEST_STOP command received. Need to check HCI_BB that whether or not it differs at implementation.

In the meantime, you can check this at your side in a relative easy way. Use a spectrum scope and monitor the energy on e.g. 2402MHz. If the packet is continuous, you should keep seeing an energy peak on this frequency.

And another way is to find a 2nd board which support BLE Direct Test Mode. And test it against your KW36 IUT. In the response to the HCI_LE_Test_End command, the Rx side should report how many packets are received. That would also give you indication.

0 Kudos

rushi_gajjar
Contributor I

I checked the RF feed on the spectrum analyzer and the RF feed throws the set frequency as expected and as per test mode. Attached spectrum image is for BV-05-C test mode where Tx freq is set to 2402MHz, 37bytes Packet length, and 11110000 test pattern was sent. It stays in Tx mode until we reset or end the test, which seems to be a good sign. We Retested, but result ended with the same INCONCLUSIVE state.

Can you please let me know if attached setting is right for the test that we are talking about?

rushi_gajjar_0-1614079650176.png

Outlook-zy2r043z.png

0 Kudos

Xiang_Li
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

HCI parameters look ok. You can cross check it yourself with the spec. Also the behavior (test start/stop command handling, continuous packet sending etc.) is normal and as expected.

Now the only thing I can think of is to ask what exactly the "inconclusive" mean. Based on the tester implementation, the lab should be able to reveal more details why the tester throws the inconclusive. aka, what is the trigger exactly.

Can you ask the lab for this info? With the details it could bring more insights for where to look at.

0 Kudos

rushi_gajjar
Contributor I

Hello,

By default when we request to put the KW36Z in this particular test mode, how many packets are being sent through the HCI_BB layer by default?

We configure the Packet length/size to be 37bytes with pattern 11110000 but how many packets would be sent by KW36 by entering the command once? Attached Image for reference.

0 Kudos

Xiang_Li
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As far as I remember the device should send packets continuously after the TEST_START command. Until receiving a TEST_STOP command.

0 Kudos

rushi_gajjar
Contributor I

Can you please confirm the same checking the HCI_BB reference document as it may give us proper lead here to fix the issue. Since we have also tried by keeping the KW36 in this test mode long enough (3/4minutes) without giving HCI_LE_Test_End and still resulted in INCONCLUSIVE.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Xiang_Li
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I did a quick look at your test report. It is unclear for some details. For example in the texts below:

BT: Modulation characteristics settings configured for payload pattern: 11110000
BT: Number of packets for measurement is set to: 10
BT: Measurement performing for payload pattern: 11110000
BT: ERROR: Performing modulation measurement: failed

Final Verdict: INCONCLUSIVE

I am not sure whether the tester is unable to capture any single packet, or it is able to capture some packets but total number not enough.

Also, it is better to provide the HCI log while running the test, with timestamp included for the timing of each HCI command/event.

With those details it would provide more insight to locate the issue.

0 Kudos