is Vybrid u-boot/linux kernel supports RMII PHY chip KSZ8081?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is Vybrid u-boot/linux kernel supports RMII PHY chip KSZ8081?

Jump to solution
MehmetAliIpin
Contributor V

Hi All,

I know the Freescale Serial tower kit has MII PHY chip KSZ8041. But 8041 is about two times expensive than RMII interfaced chip. Therefore we wish to use

RMII KS8081 in our project. A linux device driver for KSZ8081 is available but I wonder if Vybrid's timesys factory tool supports KSZ8081?

Thanks and best regards.

Mehmet Ali

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hello Mehmet,

I reviewed our current U-Boot 2013.07 and Linux 3.13 sources. I did see support in Linux for the KSZ8081 PHY chip, but not in U-Boot. It is likely that the device would work in Linux, but not in U-Boot as-is. However, I cannot verify this as we do not have the hardware to test. We would be able to add support in U-Boot or fix any kernel-related issues under a services agreement.

Thanks,

Timesys Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hello Mehmet,

I reviewed our current U-Boot 2013.07 and Linux 3.13 sources. I did see support in Linux for the KSZ8081 PHY chip, but not in U-Boot. It is likely that the device would work in Linux, but not in U-Boot as-is. However, I cannot verify this as we do not have the hardware to test. We would be able to add support in U-Boot or fix any kernel-related issues under a services agreement.

Thanks,

Timesys Support

0 Kudos
naoumgitnik
Senior Contributor V

Dear Mehmet Ali,

I found the Re: how can I set the phy_KSZ8041.c and phy_KSZ8041.h for RMII interface? thread initiated by you; have you tried our advices from there, please?

"It looks like both PHYs belong to the same family, but the one you are interested in got 2 MAC interface types.

Based on my experience, in this case one usually has to take the existing RMII-only PHY settings and add 1 more - the MAC interface type selection (to be sure, compare the 2 datasheets)."

Regards, Naoum Gitnik.

[timesyssupport]

MehmetAliIpin
Contributor V

Dear Timesys,

Thanks for your detailed answer. We will consider the case.

Best regards.

Mehmet Ali

0 Kudos
MehmetAliIpin
Contributor V

Dear Naoum,

That threat was for MQX, now we have a new project which needs to use linux. I compared registers control bit definitions between 8041 and 8081, almost all the same; I even found that 8081 chip is being used in Kinetis FRDM-K64 kit; downloaded the FSLMQX_FRDMK64 and checked the 8041 and 8081 C and Header files. They are also same line by line. I guess MII orRMII  modes are selected in another .h file.  Unfortunately we removed ethernet interface from project, therefore I could not test it.

Now we have another project, needs Ethernet interface.

Thanks for your helps again

0 Kudos
karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

timesyssupport can you attend this case?

0 Kudos