What TWR LCD board allows a DCU/LCD interface to be demonstrated?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What TWR LCD board allows a DCU/LCD interface to be demonstrated?

Jump to solution
kenmacfarlane
Contributor III

I want to see the DCU drive any old parallel LCD as I can't get an LCD to go over an LVDS link i.e. I want to see pixel clock/Vsync/Hsync & DE with RGB888 or 666. The TWR LCD & TWR LCD RGB both seem to drive the LCD via an SPI link from the Vybrid (or other Tower processor) to the Coldfire on the TWR LCD board. I think that the AutoEVB has a parallel DCU to LCD interface, but I don't have an LCD daughterboard. Is there anyway of doing it on a Tower? Failing that, how can I get hold of an AutoEVB daughterboard?

On page 19 of the AutoEVB  schematic (SCH-27419), the DCU is connected directly to the LCD.

Message was edited by: Kenneth Macfarlane

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
kenmacfarlane
Contributor III

For the Vybrid's DCU to drive the LCD, it would have to be connected to it - AFAIK, the DCU cannot serialise its output over SPI! So I think that you are mistaken: I think that both  TWR LCD boards get commands over the SPI from the Vybrid, and the onboard Coldfire interprets thes & uses its own DCU to drive the LCD.

However, I have now got my Vybrid's DCU working (we have in effect wired it directly to an LCD i.e. we have wired it via an FPD-III serialiser/deserialiser. The DCU wasn't getting a clock and that was the real problem, but that's another story. 

This is nothing to do with Linux, so TimeSys are not the right people to be asking. I have written a baremetal app using IAR's EWARM to elimanate any dependancy on MQX. Now that I am sure that the hardware is OK, I'm trying to get an MQX-based example to go on it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hello Kenneth,

The Vybrid Tower Evaluation Kit drives the TWR-LCD-RGB display unit, using the Freescale DCU. We do not have the AutoEVB hardware on-hand, and at this time, I do not believe it to have Linux support which we are primarily tasked with. Not sure if that would be of much use to you, depending upon what OS or baremetal you may be running.

karinavalencia​ could someone from Vybrid Automotive team look into this?

Thank you,

Timesys Support

0 Kudos
kenmacfarlane
Contributor III

For the Vybrid's DCU to drive the LCD, it would have to be connected to it - AFAIK, the DCU cannot serialise its output over SPI! So I think that you are mistaken: I think that both  TWR LCD boards get commands over the SPI from the Vybrid, and the onboard Coldfire interprets thes & uses its own DCU to drive the LCD.

However, I have now got my Vybrid's DCU working (we have in effect wired it directly to an LCD i.e. we have wired it via an FPD-III serialiser/deserialiser. The DCU wasn't getting a clock and that was the real problem, but that's another story. 

This is nothing to do with Linux, so TimeSys are not the right people to be asking. I have written a baremetal app using IAR's EWARM to elimanate any dependancy on MQX. Now that I am sure that the hardware is OK, I'm trying to get an MQX-based example to go on it.

0 Kudos
karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

cyborgnegotiator​ can you comment please?

0 Kudos
karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

timesyssupport​ can you help here?

0 Kudos