Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TWR-VF65GS10 device tree

Jump to solution
hjk
Contributor III

Hi,

I tried to build lunix kernel with gator driver and file system from ll5 web page, but it didn't work, so I tried to get the kernel source and rebuild it.

And here is the question, how can I add gator to device tree, and what should I add?

What should I select in menuconfig because I read "If a device tree is used it must include the pmu bindings" in the README so that there will be the dtb file?

thanks,

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
CommunityBot
Community Manager
This an automatic process.

We are marking this post as solved, due to the either low activity or any reply marked as correct.

If you have additional questions, please create a new post and reference to this closed post.

NXP Community!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
CommunityBot
Community Manager
This an automatic process.

We are marking this post as solved, due to the either low activity or any reply marked as correct.

If you have additional questions, please create a new post and reference to this closed post.

NXP Community!
0 Kudos
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hi a a,

Can you able to run the gator daemon with out any error (Before adding those two lines in S98-vybrid-out-of-box-demo file

)? Because I am not getting any error while running the gator daemon on target.

To install and run the gator driver and daemon, ensure the following option in your kernel:

1. Activate the Profiling Support option in General Setup: CONFIG_PROFILING=y.

2. Under Kernel hacking, activate the Tracers options: CONFIG_FTRACE=y

3. Build the kernel.

You could refer the following link for more information.

http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0482a/BABEJAAI.html

Please share your kernel configuration file for more information.

Thanks.

Timesys Support

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

timesyssupport​ can you help to comment here?

0 Kudos
kef2
Senior Contributor IV

To compile it is enough to cd to gator driver sources folder and execute

make -C __linux__ M=`pwd` ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=armv7l-timesys-linux-gnueabi- modules

, where __linux__ is a path to your linux kernel sources folder. Shell should replace `pwd` with your gator sources folder (current directory).

0 Kudos
hjk
Contributor III

Hi kef

I have done what you mentioned, and built the gator driver successfully, I'm pretty sure the driver successfully compiled into kernel image because I tried to insmod and it said the driver is already there.

My linux kernel version is 3.13

I still can't get my board showed on the DHCP list on my switch, what should I do so that I can use SSH to access to the board? and use Streamline in DS-5?

0 Kudos
kef2
Senior Contributor IV

modprobe should be used instead of insmod, but if lsmod lists gator driver, then it's fine as well.

I don't remember if DHCP client is included in basic package list. I think I had to add dhcpcd. Even if DHCP client daemon is included, most likely further mods of  /etc/dhcpcd.conf and /etc/network/interfaces are required. I recommend also adding ifplugd. Even if dhcpcd configures IP at boot up, proper IP config won't survive every time you remove and replug LAN cable. ifplugd helps with cable removal and WLAN loss of connection.

0 Kudos
hjk
Contributor III

Hi kef2

The kernel image I got from ll5 web page, when I add the following two lines

modprobe gator

sudo ./usr/bin/gatord &

I got the following message while running

gator: Unknown symbol perf_event_create_kernel_counter (err 0)

gator: Unknown symbol perf_event_release_kernel (err 0)

FATAL: Error inserting gator (/lib/modules/3.13.9-ts-armv7l/extra/gator.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

which package should I select to avoid this problem?

Besides gator, busybox, dhcpdc, ifplugd, what else should I select?

thanks

0 Kudos
kef2
Senior Contributor IV

1. Did you really compile gator driver? Make sure there's *.ko file in gator driver sources after make.

2. If *.ko is there, then you need to install to ar make sure that newly compiled *.ko is n /lib/modules

3. if *.ko is not there, make fails, then I guess your kernel config is not compatible. Missing perf_event_* symbols tell just this. You need to make sure you have these lines in kernel config after make config:

CONFIG_PROFILING=y

CONFIG_TRACING=y

CONFIG_FTRACE=y

CONFIG_TRACING_SUPPORT=y

You may need some of these as well. Read what make for gator driver tells you. In case of build failure add some or all of these, parhaps you need more, which are not listed below, remake kernel config and try making gator driver again.

CONFIG_NOP_TRACER=y

CONFIG_TRACE_CLOCK=y

CONFIG_RING_BUFFER=y

CONFIG_EVENT_TRACING=y

CONFIG_CONTEXT_SWITCH_TRACER=y

CONFIG_GENERIC_TRACER=y

CONFIG_DYNAMIC_FTRACE=y

CONFIG_FTRACE_MCOUNT_RECORD=y

CONFIG_OLD_MCOUNT=y

Regarding packages, I don't know. Certainly, since old gator.ko and gatord in LinuxLink are outdated, you don't need to select gator packages, but build driver and daemon from DS-5 provided sources. The most difficult part is configuring and making kernel, so that gator driver compiles. With default kernel config make complains I think about missing CONFIG_PROFILING or CONFIG_TRACING. You need to selve this somehow.

Regards

Edward

0 Kudos