cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TWR Support for Vybrid and ESAI interfaces

Jump to solution
terryshultz
Contributor I

What ESAI support is planned for Vybrid under Linux and Driver examples to do simple pass 2 channel Pass thru.

Will latest Vybrid card support ESAI in a Tower elevator environment today.

Due to Muxing of pins, will ethernet functions be in the way? or am I able to access the ESAI with at least a single Ethernet port on Tower?

I need 16 L / 16R channels minimum from ESAI and I need to be able to upload 2 Channels Left / 2 Channel Right from Condensor Microphones for equalization/calibration.

regards,

Terry

Labels (2)
1 Solution
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hello Terry,

Here is what we have so far determined:

What ESAI support is planned for Vybrid under Linux and Driver examples to do simple pass 2 channel Pass thru.

• Currently the Vybrid Kernel does not support ESAI interface (no driver for ESAI interface available).
  • Need further investigation if it can be supported with SGTL5000 chip on the TWR-Audio-SGTL.

Due to Muxing of pins, will ethernet functions be in the way? or am I able to access the ESAI with at least a single Ethernet port on Tower?

1. RMII0 (FEC0) or RMII1 (FEC1) will need to be disabled.
  2. RMII1 should be disabled by default if CONFIG_FEC1 or CONFIG_FSL_L2_SWITCH is not selected in kernel code, so it should not interfere with ESAI if you are using TWR-SER.
  • In Kernel menuconfig:

-> Device Drivers

-> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])

-> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) (NET_ETHERNET [=y])

[ ]Second FEC ethernet controller (of Vybrid and ColdFire)

• However RMII0 will need to explicitly commented out in Kernel code.
  • PTC0-7 and PTC9-16 are brought out on the expansion ports of the elevator board. So the ESAI transmit and Data signals - ESAI_SCKT, ESAI_FST, ESAI_SDOx, ESAI_SDIx could be used depending on the appropriate expansion port.
  • However on the receiver side, ESAI_SCKR, ESAI_FSR signals are not brought out on an expansion port and directly connected to the NAND Flash chip.

Additional Information:

• Currently Vybrid supports Audio via sgtl5000 using the Synchronous Audio Interface (SAI).
  • Currently on the imx6q platform, Audio is supported via CS42888 (Cirrus Logic ALSA SoC Codec Driver) using the ESAI interface. The source can be found here (provided due to overlap with i.MX6 kernel):

Source:

$kernel/sound/soc/imx/imx-esai.c

$kernel/sound/soc/imx/imx-esai.h

arch/arm/plat-mxc/include/mach/esai.h

Kernel Options in MX6:

Symbol: SND_MXC_SOC_ESAI [=n]

Symbol: IMX_HAVE_PLATFORM_IMX_ESAI [=n]

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Timesys Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Thanks for clarifying the intended usage of ESAI, we understand the

use-case. If a Linux ESAI driver for Vybrid existed, do you have any

recommendations on how to test the same since TWR board does not have

any TDM audio device connected on ESAI port?

Regards,

Timesys Support

0 Kudos
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hello Terry,

Here is what we have so far determined:

• Currently the Vybrid Kernel does not support ESAI interface (no driver for ESAI interface available).
  • Need further investigation if it can be supported with SGTL5000 chip on the TWR-Audio-SGTL.

1. RMII0 (FEC0) or RMII1 (FEC1) will need to be disabled.
  2. RMII1 should be disabled by default if CONFIG_FEC1 or CONFIG_FSL_L2_SWITCH is not selected in kernel code, so it should not interfere with ESAI if you are using TWR-SER.
  • In Kernel menuconfig:

-> Device Drivers

-> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])

-> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) (NET_ETHERNET [=y])

[ ]Second FEC ethernet controller (of Vybrid and ColdFire)

• However RMII0 will need to explicitly commented out in Kernel code.
  • PTC0-7 and PTC9-16 are brought out on the expansion ports of the elevator board. So the ESAI transmit and Data signals - ESAI_SCKT, ESAI_FST, ESAI_SDOx, ESAI_SDIx could be used depending on the appropriate expansion port.
  • However on the receiver side, ESAI_SCKR, ESAI_FSR signals are not brought out on an expansion port and directly connected to the NAND Flash chip.

Additional Information:

• Currently Vybrid supports Audio via sgtl5000 using the Synchronous Audio Interface (SAI).
  • Currently on the imx6q platform, Audio is supported via CS42888 (Cirrus Logic ALSA SoC Codec Driver) using the ESAI interface. The source can be found here (provided due to overlap with i.MX6 kernel):

Source:

$kernel/sound/soc/imx/imx-esai.c

$kernel/sound/soc/imx/imx-esai.h

arch/arm/plat-mxc/include/mach/esai.h

Kernel Options in MX6:

Symbol: SND_MXC_SOC_ESAI [=n]

Symbol: IMX_HAVE_PLATFORM_IMX_ESAI [=n]

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Timesys Support

0 Kudos
terryshultz
Contributor I

Hi TimeSYs folks,

The 2nd Ethernet port can be disabled as we need some of the pins for ESAI anyway.

We plan to use the ESAI port in TDM mode to support Audio transfer to a SPORT port on the ADI-21469 DSP.

SGTL Chip is not really of any use to us as we will use a TDM mode of operation.

We may be able to use SAI-3 as it supports 64 word fife. The ESAI supports 128 words of FIFO and may be necessary if data transfer is bogged down.

The SAI0 to 2 are only 32 Word FIFO deep and is much riskier for us.

Does this help you understand what we are doing?

0 Kudos
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hello Terry,

We are currently looking into this. I will let you know when we have more information about ESAI support.

Regards,

Timesys Support

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

timesyssupport do you  have an update on this case?

0 Kudos
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

We are reviewing the status of ESAI on the Vybrid 3.0 kernel; we expect to have a follow-up in the next 24-48 hours.

Regards,

Timesys Support

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Perfect, thanks.

0 Kudos
karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

timesyssupport can you help on this case?

0 Kudos