SPI Support Redundant Boot? (Primary/Secondary Images)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPI Support Redundant Boot? (Primary/Secondary Images)

Jump to solution
ChrisNielsen
Contributor III

In Tech Ref Figure 19-1 "Boot Flow" it seems to imply that SPI boot will support redundancy.  However, 19.4.8 indiactes it might not, PERSIST_SECONDARY_BOOT, "Used only for boot modes that support redundant boot."  Further, 19.5.5.6 says "The device ROM supports redundant boot for expansion device."  It APPEARS that "expansion device" is limited to SD/MMC which concerns me (SPI not included as an "expansion device").

So...the question is, if I set RCON for SPI Boot and my primary image is corrupt (authentication fails), will it attempt to boot from the secondary SPI image?

Also, I can't find any mention of the authentication process itself.  Could you describe it?

Thanks, Chris

Labels (5)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
naoumgitnik
Senior Contributor V

Hello Timesys Support,

Below is reply from the Vybrid chip design team:
"SPI itself is a secondary boot interface. It does not support Redundant boot, i.e. If Primary image on SPI is corrupt, then BOOTROM will switch to serial download.

The figure does not suggest that the SPI support redundant boot.

Secondary image boot is supported only on SD/MMC and NAND."

Feel free to comment on it for the customer.

Sincerely, Naoum Gitnik.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

timesyssupport can you help on this case?

0 Kudos
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

After reviewing the Vybrid reference manual and the above diagrams, it is not clear whether Vybrid supports redundant boot via SPI. SD/MMC and NAND are documented to use PERSIST_SECONDARY_BOOT - so "expansion device" may not be limited to just SD/MMC. Can a Freescale engineer confirm the behavior of PERSIST_SECONDARY_BOOT with SPI?

Thanks,

Timesys Support

naoumgitnik
Senior Contributor V

Hello Timesys Support,

Below is reply from the Vybrid chip design team:
"SPI itself is a secondary boot interface. It does not support Redundant boot, i.e. If Primary image on SPI is corrupt, then BOOTROM will switch to serial download.

The figure does not suggest that the SPI support redundant boot.

Secondary image boot is supported only on SD/MMC and NAND."

Feel free to comment on it for the customer.

Sincerely, Naoum Gitnik.

0 Kudos
karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

timesyssupport please  continue with the follow up.

0 Kudos
timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Naoum Gitnik confirmed that the SPI interface does not support Redundant boot - this boot mode is only supported on SD/MCC and NAND. We have no further comments on this.

Thanks,

Timesys Support

0 Kudos