cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for PMIC for VF50?

Jump to solution
dmudge
Contributor I

I would like to use the Vybrid VF50 in a design. The recommended Power Management IC on the product web page is the Linear LTC2977, but the price for this part is high ($13 on digikey!). Can anyone recommend a different PMIC?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RossMcLuckie
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

David,

Not really a what to on here, you need to work out what you system is going to be doing, what are the various power rail requirements and current consumptions, do you have DRAM, are you using USB ports, etc, Vybrid itself was designed to run from a single power rail, under certain circumstances, so a PMIC is no required, a discrete solution could be used, but you should consider your overall system requirements, then probably makes more sense to discuss this with the likes of Linear and Maxim, who should be better suited to help you narrow your search.

Our TWR board uses a discrete solution, we are looking at using Maxim's MAX16993 on another project, but this is just a reference for you, this is a good fit for what we are doing, but whether of use to you depends on your system requirements, but I would recommend establishing your requirements and then discussing with the PMIC manufacturers themselves.

Ross

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dmudge
Contributor I

Thanks to both of you and apologies for the sparse info in my post. The thing I was looking for is this

"Vybrid itself was designed to run from a single power rail, under certain circumstances, so a PMIC is no required"

So the Vybrid will not require anything special itself. Based on system requirements we will have a look at the TI LP3972.

0 Kudos
naoumgitnik
Senior Contributor V

Hello David,

I looked at LP3972; unless you are going to use the majority of its rails for other devices in your design, using it for Vybrid only is an overkill.

If you only need to generate 3.3V, feel free to copy our scheme from the Vybrid Tower platform on the web site - it uses a simple single-output cost-efficient synchronous buck voltage regulator with miniature SMT discrete components.

Anyways, it looks like you now have all the information required; good luck to you with your project!

Regards, Naoum Gitnik.

0 Kudos
naoumgitnik
Senior Contributor V

Hello David,

Adding to what Ross already wrote, what power rails are you planning to have in your system? - Based on this information, we may come with an advice.

You may also take a look at power management materials for Vybrid on this forum and take a look(!) at the power management App. Note (AN4807 - http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN4807.pdf) on the Vybrid web page.

Regards, Naoum Gitnik.

RossMcLuckie
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

David,

Not really a what to on here, you need to work out what you system is going to be doing, what are the various power rail requirements and current consumptions, do you have DRAM, are you using USB ports, etc, Vybrid itself was designed to run from a single power rail, under certain circumstances, so a PMIC is no required, a discrete solution could be used, but you should consider your overall system requirements, then probably makes more sense to discuss this with the likes of Linear and Maxim, who should be better suited to help you narrow your search.

Our TWR board uses a discrete solution, we are looking at using Maxim's MAX16993 on another project, but this is just a reference for you, this is a good fit for what we are doing, but whether of use to you depends on your system requirements, but I would recommend establishing your requirements and then discussing with the PMIC manufacturers themselves.

Ross

0 Kudos