May I use gcc and gdb for Vybrid linux or do I need DS-5 for Vybrid linux project development

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May I use gcc and gdb for Vybrid linux or do I need DS-5 for Vybrid linux project development

Jump to solution
MehmetAliIpin
Contributor V

Dear Community,

I built u-boot ( may be linux kernel as well?) for Vybrid with the help of Timesys with make file in u-boot directory.

Since I am a hardware engineer and non-linux firmware developer, I am asking may be a very simple question; For a linux project development,  do I still need ARM's expensive DS-5 tools or may we develop it with eclipse gcc tools and debug with gdb?

Thanks and best regards.

Mehmet Ali Ipin

Labels (5)
1 Solution
johannestraxler
Contributor III

Dear Mehmet,

yes this should work imo. You have two options: Use directly the timestorm development environment (actually that's just a modified eclipse) or you get yourself a fresh eclipse CDT IDE and install the timestorm plugins afterwards. There are some howto documents available from Timesys that provide further informations!

BR Johannes

View solution in original post

6 Replies
johannestraxler
Contributor III

Dear Mehmet,

yes this should work imo. You have two options: Use directly the timestorm development environment (actually that's just a modified eclipse) or you get yourself a fresh eclipse CDT IDE and install the timestorm plugins afterwards. There are some howto documents available from Timesys that provide further informations!

BR Johannes

MehmetAliIpin
Contributor V

Dear Johannes,

Thank you very much for your helps.

When I look at the Timesys web site, I see about 1795$ set/year. Is this timestorm's price or support/service price?

Thanks and best regards.

Mehmet.

0 Kudos
pato3
Contributor III

I'm not using Linux but if I was, I would definitely try to build it with the Crossworks toolchain (which uses gcc).

That's what I wanted with MQX and starting from scratch I think it took me 1 or 2 weeks to create the Crossworks solution files to get what I needed with MQX up and running. I suppose it will take a bit more time for Linux but that should be fun.

I'm on a hobbyist license - no feature restriction between commercial and personal licenses - and if one day I decide to go commercial, I plan to simply purchase the Crossworks commercial license.

MehmetAliIpin
Contributor V

Dear Pato,

Thank you for your answer.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
johannestraxler
Contributor III

This is a support fee, which also includes the use of the timestorm toolchain.

We purchased a phytec development board which already included a timesys seat.

0 Kudos
MehmetAliIpin
Contributor V

Dear Johannes,

We have Vybrid tower kit,

Do you know if tower kit also includes the timesys seat?

Best regards

0 Kudos