How to setup Ethernet hardware on the VF61 Vybrid Phytec Cosmic+ Board under Timesys Linux ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup Ethernet hardware on the VF61 Vybrid Phytec Cosmic+ Board under Timesys Linux ?

dragan
Contributor III

Respected Colleagues, Timesys Support, Karina Valencia Aguilar,

the Ethernet connection is now on the table.

I can connect VF61 Vybrid Phytec Cosmic+ Board to the Windows PC only trough USB RNDIS.

Connection trough LAN is cold dead (straight cable trough switch on the my LAN network, or crossover cable directly to second LAN connector (alone on that network) on my Windows PC), no matter USB RNDIS is connected to PC or not.

I use a Wireshark application to monitor communication on the LAN, and nothing comes from the Phytec Cosmic+ board.

I have tried to set up IP Address, etc., and tried to setup DHCP on the Phytec Cosmic+ Board under Timesys Linux, but nothing helps.

Do I have to do something in the Timesys Linux ? I have tried both original Timesys Images, and my custom image with apache web server.

In the attachment are boot logs, device list and ifconfig answer from original Timesys image boot, and from mine custom image boot.

Can somebody write, or point to a detailed instruction, how to enable and setup ethernet on the Timesys Linux side to make device connected and visible on the Windows PC side (for example for telnet, Ping, etc.) ?

Thanks in advance.

With best regards,

Dragan Kujovic

Original Attachment has been moved to: Custom-Made-Image-Boot.txt.zip

Original Attachment has been moved to: Original-Tymesys-Image-Boot.txt.zip

Labels (4)
12 Replies

dragan
Contributor III

Respected Colleagues and timesyssupport and karinavalencia,

I have tried to make Ethernet connection with the newest version of Timesys Linux on the Phytec Cosmic+ board and Ubuntu Linux Virtual Machine on the PC, but with no success. Not to mention that I have tried everything I know to make a LAN connection under Windows.

I am not new in this area. I have made hundreds of successful connections of wide variety of devices on the LAN, but this I can't.

Something is wrong, but I do not know what. Imagine that you purchase for example IP Camera and have to tweak LAN connection all day to make it work, and at the and of day you fail.

I wonder, does stuff from the Timesys has all kind of evaluation boards, from all manufacturers, and test Timesys Linux with all of them, like I do when I test some new CPU.

Today, I got Toradex Colibri VF61 module and Colibri Evaluation Board v.3.1, and I will start to test Vybrid CPU in that environment.

With best regards,

Dragan Kujovic

0 Kudos

naoumgitnik
Senior Contributor V

Hello Dragan,

The point there is that different PHYs most likely need different configuration settings on both the Vybrid and PHY sides.

To expedite the process quite likely I will be able to provide the relevant excerpt from it without an NDA (but with a disclaimer that it is not final yet), since the document is currently being processed by our tech. writing team and will be           published soon.

Regards, Naoum Gitnik.

0 Kudos

dragan
Contributor III

Respected Naoum Gitnik,

thanks for your answer.

I understand your approach, but I think that if you download Linux image for some evaluation board, it must run without major flaws. Of course it can contain some bugs, but it must be a functional starting point for further work.

I must admit that I am now struggling with things that I think must be operational out of a box.

With best regards,

Dragan Kujovic

0 Kudos

naoumgitnik
Senior Contributor V

Dear Dragan,

I possibly missed something... - Are you applying TymeSys's Linux image developed for Phytec's board to Phytec's board or TymeSys's Linux image developed for Freescale's [Vybrid Tower module + Ethernet Tower  module] to Phytec's board?

My earlier speculations (in the previous message) were for the latter case; please, disregard them if my assumption was incorrect, i.e. both HW and SW were by Phytec.

Sincerely, Naoum Gitnik.

0 Kudos

dragan
Contributor III

Respected Naoum Gitnik,

I am applying TymeSys's Linux image developed for Phytec's board to Phytec's board.

With best regards,

Dragan Kujovic

0 Kudos

naoumgitnik
Senior Contributor V

Got it, Dragan.

Sorry, it is hard to comment on somebody else's board design.

It looks like our help in this case would mostly be providing this Community space for communication between you and timesyssupport ...

Regards, Naoum Gitnik.

0 Kudos

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

timesyssupport can you continue with the follow up on this case?

0 Kudos

timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hello Karina,

Our latest response can be found here:

Re: Re: How to setup Ethernet hardware on the VF61 Vybrid Phytec Cosmic+ Board under Timesys Linux ?

Thanks,

Timesys Support

timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hello Dragan,

Looking at your boot output, it appears that you are using a kernel image that was generated from a January 2014 Factory build.

The pcl052 kernel from this January did not have ethernet support. We released a newer version of the pcl052 kernel in March 2014 that does have ethernet support. Can you please try booting one of the Starting Point builds for the pcl052 located at:

https://linuxlink.timesys.com/download

and let me know if this fixes the issue.

We unfortunately do not have documentation for setting up ethernet connectivity in a Windows environment. We do have documentation for setting up ethernet connectivity with a Linux host PC (also applicable if you are using a Linux VM in Windows):

https://linuxlink.timesys.com/docs/gsg/pcm052#SECTION00050000000000000000

Thanks,

Timesys Support

dragan
Contributor III

Respected  Timesys Support,, Karina Valencia Aguilar,

> Looking at your boot output, it appears that you are using a kernel image that was generated from a January 2014 Factory build.

Which files on the Timesys web site are current? I have downloaded files pcl052-development-environment.sh and pcl052-factory-installer.sh two weeks ago from your Downloads for Phytec Cosmic Vybrid Starting Points

Files on the start page of the Downloads for Phytec Cosmic Vybrid Starting Points:

Boot your board or setup your application development host

and

Build the SDK on your host (available only to PRO seat subscribers)

are not the same as files at:

Sources and other individual files - View All Files

With best regards,

Dragan Kujovic

0 Kudos

timesyssupport
Senior Contributor II

Hello Dragan,

Those are the correct files. I downloaded the Development Environment from the above link, and confirmed ethernet is working with this build. I have attached a complete build log - note the timestamp "Timesys 20140512" at the top of the kernel bootlog. Please confirm your timestamp matches. I also followed the above link to setup a DHCP, TFTP, and NFS server on the host - and thus used the 'ip=dhcp' kernel bootarg. If you have also setup DHCP, please try using this kernel bootarg.

Also, if you are using Virtualbox as your VM environment, can you confirm you are using the Bridged Networking configuration, as detailed in this document:

https://linuxlink.timesys.com/docs/wiki/engineering/HOWTO_Use_LinuxLink_on_Windows_using_VirtualBox

Thanks,

Timesys Support

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

timesyssupport can you help to  review this case?

0 Kudos