Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DS-5 Can't compile MQX 4.0.2 psp_twrvf65gs10_m4

Jump to solution
Nouchi
Senior Contributor II

Hello,

With DS-5 on Ubuntu 13.10, I can't compile the MQX psp for vybrid M4 core, on a fresh MQX install.

"../../../../source/psp/cortex_m/core/M4/support.S", line 29: Error:  #5: cannot open source input file "asm_mac.h": File name too long

#include <asm_mac.h>

../../../../source/psp/cortex_m/core/M4/support.S: 0 warnings, 1 error

Fatal error: A1905U: Pre-processor step failed for '../../../../source/psp/cortex_m/core/M4/support.S'

I can compile BSP with some warnings, but it compiles.

any ideas?

1 Solution
pato3
Contributor III

You also need to replace all the:

#include <....>

with

#include "..."

in your .s files.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
altia_mikey
Contributor III

For those of you having issues building MQX, in particular the PSP component, with ARM DS-5 v5.17.x, check out this thread:  DS-5 release 5.17(.1) compatibility issues with MQX

This resolved it for me and I built all of MQX (v4.0.2) with no issues using DS-5.

torstencoym
Contributor I

This seems to be an issue with the DS-5 5.17 release.

I had the same error message when compiling on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS both 32-bit and 64-bit as well as Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 6.5 32-bit.

However, after removing DS-5 and installing a fresh DS-5 5.16, the compilation of the PSP went smoothly on my Computer.

Can anyone confirm?

0 Kudos
karine_fernandez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I confirm, it seems to be a DS5 v5.17 issue: I had the exact same compilation issue on DS5 v5.17 and also on v5.17.1.

I removed DS-5 and installed DS-5 v5.16, and then I didn't get any compilation error.

0 Kudos
jackblather
Senior Contributor I

Ah! That might be the reason why I haven't seen that problem. I'm still on 5.16. I wonder if v5.17 installs some bogus include paths or something in the projects. I was going to install 5.17 today, but after seeing this, I'll wait. The bug fix list in v5.17 isn't enough for me to really want to install it anyway.

0 Kudos
Nouchi
Senior Contributor II

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Win7 neither Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32bits

"../../../../source/psp/cortex_m/core/M4/boot.S", line 31: Error:  #5: cannot open source input file "asm_mac.h": No such file or directory

If I apply the Pato Three's trick, I get :

"../../../../source/psp/cortex_m/core/M4/dispatch.S", line 32: Error:  #5: cannot open source input file "asm_mac.h": File name too long

I don't know, if it's DS-5 problem or MQX PSP/BSP problem, but now, I'm stuck for a week.

What a waste of time!

0 Kudos
pato3
Contributor III

You also need to replace all the:

#include <....>

with

#include "..."

in your .s files.

0 Kudos
Nouchi
Senior Contributor II

It's a little bit quick and dirty, but it works fine :smileyhappy:.

0 Kudos
pato3
Contributor III

"It's a little bit quick and dirty, but it works fine"

That's what I said in my earlier post, feel free to come up with a better fix. AFAIAC this and other problems as well quickly convinced me to get away from DS-5.

0 Kudos
jackblather
Senior Contributor I

Interestingly, I have not had this problem. I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 32-bit with DS-5 5.16, MQX 4.0.2-GA.

The instructions in Freescale's "Vybrid Getting Started Guide with Linux-MQX" document starting on page 30 about importing the BSP and PSP for Vybrid were a big help.

How did you guys install the MQX source tree into Ubuntu? This is how I did it, following the instructions in that guide: I downloaded MQX Linux installer from http://www.freescale.com/webapp/connect/displayPartnerProfile.sp?partnerId=1-2AE4-11&tid=vanTIMESYS . There's a link "https://community.nxp.com/" name="MQX Linux Installer" title="https://community.freescale.com///MQX Linux Installer" on that page. It's a shell script. I installed it and it was ready for DS-5 to import and build. However, the .wsd file (working set) was goofed up and wouldn't import the projects properly. The XML script is broken so I had to import the eight projects individually and then put them all into my own working set. After resolving that, the BSP and PSP compiled. I didn't have to change the source files to alter the include file lines.

I hope that helps.

0 Kudos
pato3
Contributor III

Hi Jack,

I cannot talk about Ubuntu, I just tried with Win7. The thing I hated the most was that it took 1h26mn on my system to build the complete MQX (BSP/PSP/MFS/RTCS/SHELL/USBD/USBH) from scratch. Just change a config parameter and again that long break before being able to test it. Really glad it's over and now I use DS-5 just to confirm if I find something that doesn't work as expected.

0 Kudos
jackblather
Senior Contributor I

Wow, that's a long time. How long does it take to compile all that on, say, IAR or CW?

0 Kudos
pato3
Contributor III

8min with Crossworks (AMD-A4-5300 3.40GHz Win7-32bit)

How long does it take on Linux ?

0 Kudos
jackblather
Senior Contributor I

179 seconds with DS-5 on AMD A8-5600K 3.6 GHz Ubuntu 12.10 32-bit. I didn't believe this number so I did it three times. Cleaned before each build run. Then checked the build logs.

That's quite a difference from 1.5 hours. Apparently, something is up with your Win7/DS-5 setup. No wonder you're frustrated with it. Maybe you're running out of memory and it's thrashing? I had to give DS-5/Ubuntu 3.5 GBytes of RAM. Anything less than 3 Gig and it started to thrash and things took longer and longer. With 3.5 Gig, it seems to be happy. I found that DS-5 is kind of a memory pig. So is Ubuntu.

0 Kudos
pato3
Contributor III

3min, that's excellent !!

I recently upgraded my PC hardware (and did a fresh win7 re-install) and my other apps seem to be running fine. The system's got 4GB of ram but only 2.47 can be used on WIN32.

Still I can live with 8min, besides I'm new to MQX so I learned a lot while creating the solution files for the Crossworks toolchain.

0 Kudos
jackblather
Senior Contributor I

8 minutes isn't bad at all.

0 Kudos
pato3
Contributor III

Thanks Jack.

0 Kudos
jackblather
Senior Contributor I

What is the path to where you have the MQX source installed? I'm running DS-5 on Ubuntu 12.10 (32-bit). I have not seen this compile error. Maybe the path name to the include file is just too long?

My install path is "~/timesys/FSL-MQX/FreescaleMQXRTOS4.0.2-GA" and thus the path to the asm_mac.h file is "~/timesys/FSL-MQX/FreescaleMQXRTOS4.0.2-GA/mqx/source/psp/cortex_m/compiler/rv_ds5/asm_mac.h". So the pathnames are pretty short.

FYI, I used to run DS-5 on Ubuntu 64-bit (12.10), but found it problematic and switched to 32-bit. Problems evaporated.

0 Kudos
Nouchi
Senior Contributor II

First I use Ubuntu 13.10 64 bits, and MQX, DS-5 are installed into their default path.

It's really weird, because path are short.

Could it be a JAVA issue?

0 Kudos
jackblather
Senior Contributor I

You might want to try switching to 32-bit Ubuntu if you can. I had problems trying to get DS-5 to work properly in 64-bit Ubuntu.

Also, I'm using 12.10. I don't think 13.10 is supported yet.

For 64-bit DS-5, ARM DS-5 supports these OSes:

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Desktop with Workstation option
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Workstation
  • Ubuntu Desktop Edition 12.04 LTS

As you can see, 13.10 is not supported.For 32-bit DS-5, ARM DS-5 supports these OSes:

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Desktop with Workstation option
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Workstation
  • Ubuntu Desktop Edition 12.04 LTS
  • Ubuntu Desktop Edition 10.04 LTS

13.10 is not there, either. I wonder if your problem is that your OS is too new?

I got this information from ds.arm.com/downloads .

0 Kudos
Nouchi
Senior Contributor II

Ok, I will try to downgrade my system

Edit: I try to compile with Window 7 SP1 32bits, and I get similar error :

"..\..\..\..\source\psp\cortex_m\core\M4\boot.S", line 31: Error:  #5: cannot open source input file "asm_mac.h": No such file or directory

#include "asm_mac.h"

Fatal error: A1905U: Pre-processor step failed for '..\..\..\..\source\psp\cortex_m\core\M4\boot.S'

I checked path setting, and everything seems to be OK.

0 Kudos