cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T1013 board bring up question

eduardkromskoy
Contributor II

Hi,

Our company is working on new design and h/w engineers hard wired cfg_rcw_src[0..8] to SD boot mode only. This is what we have in our current T1024 based board; but in new design there is no SD card slot and bus multiplexer to select boot media. Idea was to use JTAG connection and download to core our custom initial programmer that would take firmware over serial port and write it to the blank SD media. 

Currently I encounter problem that initial RCW is not correct and I cannot even connect to core through JTAG in Code Warrior. I found an example (for different CPU in same family, didn't try it though) how to override RCW and get connected to the core. Example then suggests using Flash programmer tool to write proper RCW and loader. My understanding is that Flash programmer support only SPI/NOR/NAND flashes only, is it correct? Is it possible, once I establish connection for debugger overwriting RCW, to download my executable into RAM (or SRAM, whatever I will be able to config and use) and run it without any CPU resets (RCW reloading) in between? Writing image to SD media seems to be different than SPI flash programming. Do you see any flaws in this logic? (for me the first unexpected thing was that debugger cannot connect to the core if RCW was wrong / read from blank media)

Is it just simple as adding my code (eMMC initialization, data receiving and writing) in main_SRAM.c and changing debugger settings to override RCW? 

Thank you,

Ed

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

eduardkromskoy
Contributor II

Quick update: generated hard coded RCW works. Problem was with JTAG cable this time. So far so good with T1024 board; I can run code in SRAM. If I will have problems with new 1013 board I will start new thread. 

Thank you very much for help. 

Ed

0 Kudos

eduardkromskoy
Contributor II

Hi,

Figured out how to install QCVS which includes PBL Tool. It's in Code Warrior IDE: Help -> Install New Software. Hope it helps someone confused with Eclipse like me.

Composed two RCW with Hard coded values, all available for T1024 CPU ; none of them seems to work so far. What bits in RCW are responsible for hard coded boot source? Generated files seems to have differences in PLL settings from T1024 RDB board as well as from our custom board.(later expected but why it's different from reference design board).

0 Kudos

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, your understanding is correct, and moreover Flash Programmer works exactly in this way - it brings up processor using this override RCW function, initializes target RAM, uploads flash programming code to target ram and executes it.

The debugger can not connect to debug interface, if core is not running because of invalid RCW, this is expected behavior, because debug interface is a part of core.

Yes, simply adding your code to any CodeWarrior project and enabling RCW override function in debugger connection settings will be enough.

0 Kudos

eduardkromskoy
Contributor II

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for prompt response. Could you help describing more details how to override RCW. I found a few examples. First involve Code Warrior Configuration project wizard which I don't seem to have in my Code Warrior (I have only Barebone and Linux project wizards). Second one is involving Custom debug session type manual configuration but requires to deselect Application check mark, so nothing seems to be downloaded. At this time I cannot get it working it says JTAG channel initialization error. Not much progress for today.

Do you have any instructions/document on how to override RCW on T1023/T1024 RDB.

Thank you,

Ed

0 Kudos