cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD card boot for the T2080

matiaslirman
Contributor II

Hello,

I have been working with the T2080RDB board to boot up from SD card and I have a few questions. To start, I have two different T2080 boards I have been working with. One has a working Uboot flashed onto the board and the other does not (it is essentially an empty board) and Codewarrior flash has been unsuccessful in getting uboot working (trying to figure that out in another thread). Board 2 shows no connection to the tera term screen and so any interaction with the board is impossible. The main question I want to ask is: it possible to have the board fully function from an SD card boot, including the U-boot functionality?

For the first board (with working UBoot) I followed the instructions found under Deploy U-Boot, Linux Kernel, and Root File System to a Reference Design Board (RDB)/Supported Boards/T2080RDB/Deployment/SD Card Deployment in the "QorlQ SDK v2.0-1703 Documentation" found online. I was successful in getting the board to boot up from here and function well. In this documentation it tells me to create two partitions on the SD card (the exact wording is as follows): "Create the partitions by "fdisk /dev/sdb", one MS-DOS partition(sdb1 and this partition usually for u-boot) and one ext2 partition(sdb2) in the SD card".  The sdb1 is created for U-Boot, which leads me to the question I asked above. 

If I adjust the switches to the configuration found in the "boot from SD Card" section mentioned in the  "QorlQ T2080 Reference Design Board (T2080RDB-PC) Quick Start (SW1: 0010 0000, SW2: 0011 1111, SW3: 1110 0001) will the board look for the appropriate uboot files directly on the SD card? If this is the case, then I should be able to put everything on the SD card and successfully be able to start up board 2 (without uboot). Please let me know if my reasoning is correct and if it is possible to fully boot from the SD card. I did not need to change the switch configuration from the default for the SD deployment found in the documentation mentioned above so I figure that the switches will change something. 

If my assumption is correct would you please provide me a detailed walkthrough of the appropriate files to download and their specific locations on the first partition of the SD card I have already created with the corresponding linux commands. Thank you so much in advance for all your help! 

Awaiting your response,

Matias Lirman 

Labels (1)
6 Replies

robertoinnocent
Contributor III
0 Kudos

manoloruiz
Contributor III

Hi Roberto,

Could you provide the link again? It looks like broken.

Best Regards

0 Kudos

robertoinnocent
Contributor III

In fact look like that was deleted from the forum moderator, in any case wave published at that links

LinuxT2080DevKit - Power Progress Community Projects Wiki

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

NXP SDK 2.0-1703 supports SD boot for the T2080 boards.

Look at the Chapter 10.2 from NXP SDK 2.0-1703 documentation about SD boot.:

http://www.nxp.com/docs/en/supporting-information/QORIQ-SDK-2.0-IC-REV0.pdf

The following command sequences usually are used for u-boot burning:

1. Program the image to SD card on the T2080 board.

=>tftp 1000000 "u-boot binary image"

=>mmc erase 8 0x800

=>mmc write 1000000 8 0x800

1. Program the image to SD card in Linux.

dd if="u-boot binary image" of=/dev/sdb bs=512 seek=8

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

matiaslirman
Contributor II

Hello Pavel, 

Thank you for your response. 

I am a bit confused at your response. I have been looking at the documentation you provided for me above and some things are still not clear. First and foremost, like I mentioned above, I do not have any sort of communication with the board itself. So my goal is to program the SD card so that I can adjust the switches on the board to the correct SD configuration and have the board present the U-boot prompts like it would on a regular start up in the default configuration. First, is this even possible? In other words, booting up from an SD card with the only thing done to the board is configure the switches. Please specify if this is something I can accomplish.

The guide, under "Procedure for SD card" (on page 1933), and you state that we need to write to the T2080 but that is percisely what I do not have access to. I have no U-boot on the board and have not been able to remedy that (I have been working with another team to try and get that fixed but there are some issues with flashing the uboot onto the board). Meaning that I dont have the ability to use the tftp or mmc command on the board. Please let me know how to proceed from here. The more details and in depth explanations you could provide would be super helpful. Thank you!

0 Kudos

matiaslirman
Contributor II

Pavel, 

I have been working on following the instructions found in the guide you provided but have gotten stuck.

It mentions the "SDK installation folder" and then specifies the necessary uboot files but I dont know where this folder or the files are. I have attached a screen shot to specify what I am regarding. 

SD card t2080.PNG

Also, I have downloaded the QCVS as specified by the documentation (I installed the packages on the already downloaded codewarrior for power architecture) but am unsure of how to get it started once installed. The guides online say to start a new QorlQ configuration project by choosing file >new> QorlQ configuration Project but that does not appear as an option for me (I am still in the codewarrior window). Is this another application that I cannot find? Any help with that would also be much appreciated. Again, thank you for your time and I look forward to your response.  

Best, 

Matias 

0 Kudos