Reducing fan noise on T4240RDB Reference Platform

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing fan noise on T4240RDB Reference Platform

johnmion
Contributor I

What are the environmental (temperature) specs for the T4240RDB PB reference platform? Can the system fans (not the CPU blower fan) be disconnected if the box is run on a desk at room temperature and not in a rack? If not will slowing down the fans cause alarm conditions as the tachometer leads are connected?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1U enclosure is noisy by design - it takes cold air from front bezel and throws hot air via holes in back panel. This air flow is usually created by small (40x40mm, due to height limitation), but very noisy fans. This is typical for 1U rackmount systems.

In other words, this is not due to specific thermal requirements of the board, but due to 1U rackmount enclosure used.

If you are using this board on a desk, than I think it will be safe to open board chassis to create additional air convection, and than disconnect all 3 back panel fans. However, here, in our lab, we still have 1 back panel fan running.

Note this is not documented in board documentation, and therefore can not be considered as "official" NXP recommendation.

Have a great day,
Alexander

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

johnmion
Contributor I

Thanks Alexander!

0 Kudos