CPU up timeout. SMP not working randomly(Processor 2 is stuck) in linux

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU up timeout. SMP not working randomly(Processor 2 is stuck) in linux

karunakaranradh
Contributor IV

In U-Boot, "CPU up timeout . CPU up mask is 1 should be f" printed randomly,  If CPU up timeout in U-Boot, after that kernel throw the below error.

Processor 2 is stuck.
smp_85xx_kick_cpu: Can not start CPU #3. Start CPU #2 first.
smp: failed starting cpu 3 (rc -2)
Processor 4 is stuck.
smp_85xx_kick_cpu: Can not start CPU #5. Start CPU #4 first.
smp: failed starting cpu 5 (rc -2)
Processor 6 is stuck.
smp_85xx_kick_cpu: Can not start CPU #7. Start CPU #6 first.
smp: failed starting cpu 7 (rc -2).

This CPU up timeout  error occurred randomly at any time.

Kindly suggest us to resolve this issue.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Karunakaran Radhakrishnan,

Under u-boot prompt, please use the command "cpu <num> status" to check whether the stuck processor is running.

If the CPU doesn't run, please check the probable hardware cause.

Core power supply failure       

Improper processor connection, please refer to the design checklist which could be downloaded from NXP public Website.

Incorrect timing of POR configuration signal(s), please refer to Power on reset initialization section in the processor reference manual.

If processors run normally, please check DDR memory, please enable "mtest" in u-boot to do more test on DDR memory.

If you have CodeWarrior+CodeWarrior TAP, you could refer to Debugging Linux Kernel with CodeWarrior for PA to debug Linux Kernel to get the exact information.

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

chengdang
Contributor I

Hi,

I am facing same issue. For me processor 1 is stuck and linux kernel was not booting after that. Have you resolved this issue and how.

0 Kudos