cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About mEMAC and MDIO/PHY configurations on T2081 board

mohammedahad
Contributor I

Hi,

I am trying to bring T2081 board with freescale SDK linux.   The board is already UP with UBOOT, but the ethernet interface on the board doesn't come up with FSL SDK linux. I have used fsl-image-minimal with minimum configurations. FM1-mEMAC6 is the interface from CPU, being used for primary ethernet interface. The same mEMAC6 interface is connected to a BCM PHY(BCM54385) device via a BCM switch(BCM56150). Both BCM devices have been initialised and configured properly in uboot only, and not reconfigured in linux. As soon as i load linux, i see that the interface fm1-mac6 is there with its MAC address but when i assign IP, PHY fails to get initialised. I was not sure about the "phy-handle" property in the DTS file. I just added the entry in the DTS  file as below:

&soc {
   fman0: fman@400000 {
                        fm1mac1: ethernet@e0000 { /* 10GEC3 */
                        phy-handle = <&xg_aq1202_phy3>;
                        phy-connection-type = "xgmii";
                     };

fm1mac6: ethernet@ea000 {
                        phy-handle = <&phy0>;
                        phy-connection-type = "sgmii";
                     };

mdio0: mdio@fc000 {
            #address-cells = <1>;
            #size-cells = <0>;
            rgmii_phy1: ethernet-phy@1 {
                                 reg = <0x1>;
            };
            rgmii_phy2: ethernet-phy@2 {
                                reg = <0x2>;
            };
            phy0: ethernet-phy@3 {
                        compatible = "ethernet-phy-ieee802.3-c45";
                        reg = <0x3>;
            };
};

Some one please guide me to correct the entry so that i can create a PHY device. I also want to understand which device we mean by phy_dev which gets configured and gets connected when we try to configure ip address and also how it is related to MDIO bus, which is used to configure the eth/mEMAC interface. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Look at the following about "phy-handle" property:

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/ethernet.txt

and

http://elinux.org/images/c/cf/Power_ePAPR_APPROVED_v1.1.pdf

Look at also the T4240rdb.dts file as example for sgmii using.

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos