Which Device/Eval Board (MMA9550 or 9551 EVM) should I use for an application measuring boat surge/sway/heave and roll/pitch/yaw?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Device/Eval Board (MMA9550 or 9551 EVM) should I use for an application measuring boat surge/sway/heave and roll/pitch/yaw?

stuartjobbins
Contributor II

I want to measure and resolve forces on various parts of a commercial boat, potentially at different points relative to CoG and require to indicate, for example,  'zero-crossing' points for heave (e.g. crest or trough of wave) as well as (eventually) logging parameters for maximum (peak) g exerted on crew compartment in all 3 axes..

I need a low cost method of both prototyping and constructing a product. Would the simplified CodeWarrior set up work with Eval Board kit and allow me to load a small application via USB?

Which part would be best - the 9550 appears to have none of the libraries, but not sure which libraries will apply! Focus will be on cost of final product - so looking for simplest (1-chip) solution that can trigger LEDs or sounders (with addition of appropriate level and power switching added).

Many thanks,

Stuart

5 Replies

Joshevelle
Senior Contributor I

Hello Stuart,

For evaluation purposes, I would highly recommend you the Sensor Toolbox for MMA845xQ. You could easily log the acceleration data and export it to an excel sheet thru a GUI interface right out of the box:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=LFSTBEB845X

Unfortunately we do not have a dedicated library for your specific application, so you would need to write some code. Please take a look at the Sensor Toolbox capabilities and let us know if you have further questions.

Hope it helps! Have fun!

Josh

stuartjobbins
Contributor II

Thanks Joshevelle... but ultimately decided it would be faster to use a Raspberry Pi and the Xtrinsic Sense Board with accelerometer (8491q), magnetometer and pressure sensors as a prototype environment to at least gather data quickly (and cheaply).

Writing the libraries was never going to be a problem - just cost of collecting initial data so I can set the filter parameters... and although the chips are cheap, working with LGA packages as an amateur becomes impossible... and although there are people 'packaging' them into DIL format through board assemblies... it seems churlish to pay EUR35 for a UKP2 device to be in an amateur usable package!

Off to brush-up my Python skills!

Stuart

Joshevelle
Senior Contributor I

that's sounds like a solution!

Regarding the small LGA packages; we are working in a small project to provide you guys with the required design files so you can manufacture your own DIP style boards for small packages like MMA845x, MAG3110, FXO8700, etc.

Keep an eye on our Sensors Community :smileywink:

have fun!

Josh

0 Kudos

Wlodek_D_
Senior Contributor II

Hello,

Thank you for your post, however please consider moving it to the right community place (e.g.Sensors) to get it visible for active members.

For details please see general advice Where to post a Discussion?

Thank you for using Freescale Community.

0 Kudos

stuartjobbins
Contributor II

Apologies, I thought I WAS in the sensor community!

0 Kudos