The Leakage of Pressure Sensor MPX2010GS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Leakage of Pressure Sensor MPX2010GS

bastianengelman
Contributor I

Hi, I have the same problem as zhang bin had with his MPX2050AP (asked here at 21.04.2019). I am evaluating the MPX2010GS and have seen about 400 sensors (out of 11 batches) of this type so far. I experienced the MPX2010GS as a very very good sensor with very reproducible and very stable signal. The used silicon gel is also very resistant against  various solvent vapors for a very long time!

In my application I need to monitor the pressure of an enclosed volume. Leakage therefor appears as a pressure drop.

Now I have trouble with some sensors of batch KJN835D. I found 14 out of 64 sensors leaky. Leakage on connectors are cross checked and are therefor ineligible. While up to eight sensors are working in parallel (connected to different volumes) voltage and ambient deviations can also be excluded as possible cause.

All sensors, except the KJN835D batch, are tight (for days and weeks). All sensors were experienced to the same (small) mechanical stress.
The leakage of the defective sensors is typically in the range of 10mm³/min at 1kPa (10% of full rated pressure) and very reproducible.

In the datasheet are no soldering references given. In the other thread Mr. Morales wrote some reflow parameter. Are these parameter obligatory? I thing such a low max temperature would be stated clearly in the DS.

Where exactly is the sealing? - The sensitive parts of the sensor are enclosed with a stainless steel plate. This plate has a hole for gas exchange. Are the edges of the of this plate tightly connected to the body?
Or let me state the question the other way around: How to seal a MPXM2010D/DT1 - CASE 1320-02? Just around the hole or all around the steel plate?

Are issues known in the gluing process of the sensor cap?

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

nxf54943
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Dear Bastian Engelamnn,

Leakage is an unspecified and therefore not guaranteed performance characteristic of our devices. However, NXP does perform a 100% leakage test on all ported devices after assembly. The intent/extent of NXP’s test capabilities is as a manufacturing quality tool/gauge to identify

gross leakers (devices outside the leak test limits), NOT to quantify leakage as a cc/sec performance characteristic.

In this case, I do recommend using hose clamps to help prevent leakage and loosening, hose clamps provide a stronger connection to the sensor port. Clamps that are recommended for use in applications as described.

Please review further information regarding a hose connector for the device at the application note below:

AN936: Mounting Techniques, Lead Forming, and Testing of the MPX Series Pressure Sensors.
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN936.pdf 

Kind regards,
Andrea

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

bastianengelman
Contributor I

Hello Mrs Perez, and thank you for your fast reply!

I am glad to hear you have a 100% test and I looked through the AN9311. The note deals with the Unibody Package class of the MPX series.
My company uses thousands of these circular shaped sensors per year (MPX2100AP and the MPX5xxxDP in different pressure ranges). From the (very small) number of warranty issues on the regarding subassemblies including these sensors, I can confirm the very high quality of the Unibody Packaged MPX Sensors. I hope you are glad to hear.

In my application I want to extend the use of your sensors to a number that manually attached tubing (with or without hose clamp) is no more reasonable. Therefor I dont use the Unibody Package but rather the MPAK. I think the MPXMxxxxGS-Body is designed for o-ring sealing, and that is what I did in my tests. Technical details of the mechanical load are: a shore 70 o-ring, cord thickness 1.5mm, ID 1.5mm, pretension is 0.2mm axially. (For the fast reader: these numbers say, that the mechanical load is low).
Beside that I stressed a few (non leaky) MPXM2010GS sensors (with pretty massive pliers) to an extend that the sensors, including its soldering pads, were pulled off the boards – they stayed absolutely tight.

My last board order included mainly sensors of batches KBF601C and KJN835D, and all 14 leaky sensors are of batch KJN835D - although all sensors experienced the identical assembly process and thermal load of soldering (reflow soldered).

I conclude that you are potentially able to produce almost indestructible sensors and would be very glad to find the reason why I have got one batch with about 20% leaky sensors and 10 batches without a single issue.

The open points are:

1) Is my demand of tightness (<5mm³/min @1kPa) higher than your production test can assure?

2) Even though your test might not be able to identify the issued sensors (with leak rates ~ 10mm³@1kPa), it may be, that your production test is still able to identify delicate batches with finding a surprisingly high share of gross leaky sensors.

3) It might be that the sensors leave your factory in perfect condition, but some batches are very sensitive to e.g. thermal load.

4) I did something wrong.

For 1) – can you give me some details of the production test?

For 2) – does your available data allows you an assertion of typical failure rate (or at least failure rate of batch KBF601C) and failure rate of batch KJN835D?
Might there be a possibility to get sensors from certain batches?

For 3) – It might be possible that the used glue seals in the area between metal plate and cap, but the glue does not reach the edges of the metal plate to seal plastic body to plastic cap. Then while soldering, the difference of thermal expansion coefficients of metal and plastic leads to a detachment of the glue layer and, as a consequence, small leaks will appear. Is there an obligatory processing temperature?

For 4) – Its easy to say but hard to prove that I did everything right. But we are a team of engineers and the recent problems – and its technical details – had been seen by quite a few people so far…

Thanks again in advance!

The picture shows a tightness test of a desoldered pressure sensor, possibily close to your production test. The sensor is submerged in water and pressured with 4kPa. It took a few minutes for the formation of the large bubble. The two small bubbles on the left are remnants from the submersion and did now grow over time.

Leaky Sensor.png

0 Kudos

nxf54943
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Dear Bastian Engelamnn,

There should not be any leakage on the pressure sensors, nor for the short term nor the long term. Unfortunately, there are no test reports for leakage, I apologize for the inconveniences this may cause.

If needed, you can ask for a CQC Quality Report, to do this, you need to contact your distributor and ask them to start the CQC process.

Kind regards,
Andrea

0 Kudos

bastianengelman
Contributor I

Hello Mrs Perez,

Might there be a possibility to get sensors from certain batches that showed very low failure rates in your production test?

0 Kudos

nxf54943
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Dear Bastian Engelamnn,

The CQC Quality Report will provide you with what you are looking for, your distributos will contact our Quality Team,       which will then run the needed tesst on the sensors and provide a full report.

Kind regards, Andrea

0 Kudos

bastianengelman
Contributor I

Hallo Mrs Perez,

I realized that there are a couple of issues with the MPX Series. In the tread "Leakage issue about the MPXV5050GP" [2017] a tested leakage of 0.182kPa/sec (with 50kPa) is stated to be OK. That is about a 20% pressure drop per minute at FSO. If apply this to my leakage rate: 10mm³/min at 1kPa (10% FSO) --which is about-- 100mm³/min @ FSO -- and I've got a enclosed volume in my pressurised system of 2600mm³ -- then the pressure sensor leads to a pressure drop of 3.8% p-drop@FSO. Your test system must therefore have a enclosed pressurised volume equals-or-less than 2600mm³ * 0.38 = 1000mm³ to see a pressure drop of 10%. 1000mm³ is about 30cm ID2mm tubing (no pump or syringe / no valve) - that is not much and I expect your test will have more volume (and will show therefore a smaller pressure drop).

All this calculation/estimation says, that I expect my worst sensor will pass your test, and a CQC won't help.

Unfortunately I need to make the same conclusion than Iaran Gadotti in "Leakage issue about the MPXV5050GP" [2017] did.
Regards,
Bastian

0 Kudos