MPL3115A2 LGA Land Pattern - Paste Layer Recommendation

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPL3115A2 LGA Land Pattern - Paste Layer Recommendation

lukebuer
Contributor I

In the data sheet for the MPL3115A2, you will note that they do have a land pattern drawing seen on page 37 and see in the screen shot below. I shows both the package outline and PCB landing pattern, but does not make a specification regarding the solder paste requirements. Is there a recommendation somewhere?

Inline image 1

I ask about this because I have done quite a few designs with LGA footprints. Typically, they have particular instructions for the solder paste layer or solder stencil opening. For instance, this Freescale document for different LGA package has very specific instructions regarding the paste layer/stencil opening.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Joshevelle
Senior Contributor I

Hello Luke,

The datasheet you mentions (AN3484), applies for any LGA package, including the MPL3115A.

Josh

0 Kudos

lukebuer
Contributor I

Thanks Joshevelle -

Based on your response, there is no drawing for MPL3115A specifically, correct?

Looking at the MPL3115A, it seems that each pad from the landing pattern size is (X = 1.050mm by Y = 0.550mm), while the landing pattern in AN3484 is (X = 0.9mm by Y = 0.6mm).

Then should I assume that I should the solder paste opening in the stencil show have the same ratio as specified by AN3484.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Joshevelle
Senior Contributor I

Hello Luke,

As stated in AN3484: The solder mask opening is equal to the size of the PCB land pad plus an extra 0.1mm... SM opening = PCB land pad + 0.1mm

MPL3115 pads are 0.8x0.5mm (+-0.05mm), hence the recommended landing pad is 0.9x0.6mm (+-0.05mm) and the recommended solder mask is 1.0x0.7mm (+-0.05mm).

Hope it helps!

Josh

0 Kudos

lukebuer
Contributor I

I did read that note in AN3484, though SM = Solder Mask, I am asking about solder paste.

Can you please send a solder paste guideline for the MPL3115A2?

0 Kudos

Joshevelle
Senior Contributor I

Luke,

Thanks for the clarification. The solder paste dimensions depends on the PCB manufacturer capabilities, the maximum aperture for a solder paste should be the exposed copper of the landing pad (0.9x0.6mm (+-0.05mm)), but most likely the stencil manufacturer will modify it as required.

Please let me know if I can help any further.

Josh

0 Kudos