cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMA8452QT EOL

Simon_T
Contributor I

Hello,

I recently got the information from DigiKey and Mouser that the MMA8452 and a lot of other Accerleration Sensors are going to be EOL at the end of 2021.

There is an EOL note from 27.09.20 I am attaching that note.

I am wondering because your homepage does not show this information at the moment.

Is that EOL information correct? I am asking beause I am releasing a new board at the moment using the MMA8452.

Thank you very much for your help.

Greetings from Germany,

Simon

0 Kudos
6 Replies

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Simon,

MMA845x and other accelerometer families will turn into NRND soon. Last order would be 12/1/2021 and last shipment would be 12/1/2023.

For the moment, we were asked by the marketing team to recommend the FXLS8962 for new applications.

There will be an FXLS8964/74 available in mid-2022. Its also a suitable replacement for the MMA845x family.

Please see a .pptx regarding the cessation of production of some sensor families from a Product Manager attached.

With Best Regards,

Jozef

0 Kudos

marks
Contributor IV

Hi Jozef,

Looking at the power point you posted, I see a recommended replacement for MMA845x is the FXLS8962. Also says:

FXLS8964/74 (Gemini) (2x2 DFN – pin / SW compatible variant which will replace FXLS8962)

•Samples: Q3 2021

•Production: mid-2022.

My questions are:

1. The MMA8451QT is 14 bit resolution and has a 32 sample fifo. I see the FXLS8962 has a 32 sample fifo so that is good but only 12 bit resolution. Is there, or will there be, a replacement with 14 bit resolution? 

2. Will there be a drop in replacement for the MMA8451QT? I am assuming the answer is "No" since I was not stated in the power point.

3. Is there an app note to show how to migrate from the MMA8451QT to the FXLS8962 and/or the FXLS8964/74? That would be handy for those needing to re-spin current designs. And if a board needs to be modified for other reasons it would be nice to roll in this change and not have to re-qualify again.

Thanks!,

Mark

0 Kudos

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mark,

please see below for answers to your questions from a Product Marketing Manager. 

DESCRIPTION

1. The MMA8451QT is 14 bit resolution and has a 32 sample fifo. I see the FXLS8962 has a 32 sample fifo so that is good but only 12 bit resolution. Is there, or will there be, a replacement with 14 bit resolution?

a. NXP does have a product with 14-bit resolution on the roadmap that is currently target for launch in 2024. The product is still in the early product definition stage, and resources on this product will only be assigned after the launch of FXLS8964/74.

2. Will there be a drop in replacement for the MMA8451QT? I am assuming the answer is "No" since I was not stated in the power point.

b. As stated above, NXP does plan to launch such a replacement for MMA8451 (expectation is that the part will be pin compatible to MMA8451 but not necessarily SW compatible)

3. Is there an app note to show how to migrate from the MMA8451QT to the FXLS8962 and/or the FXLS8964/74? That would be handy for those needing to re-spin current designs. And if a board needs to be modified for other reasons it would be nice to roll in this change and not have to re-qualify again.

c. No such App Note is currently planned, but it will be considered as part of the FXLS8964/74 launch efforts

With Best Regards,

Jozef

0 Kudos

feldon30
Contributor I

I realize this decision was made at an executive level and so this is not targeted towards, but I just have to share my radical idea with NXP Inc.:

Before taking some of the most popular accelerometers off the market (MMA8452 and MMA8652), perhaps consider...

1. Having the replacement components Available 
  2. Not immediately subjecting the replacement to an 8 month "fab switchover"
  3. Have the full replacement part with 14-bit resolution be a little further along than a drawing board idea that might ship sometime 3 years from now
  4. Not sending your customers scrambling to other vendors.

Just a thought!

This whole kerfuffle is NXP sending a loud message to the world "You cannot rely on us for Accelerometers." NXP has spent a lot of $$ marketing their robotics chops lately. If I'm getting into robotics, shouldn't I expect to have a way to measure 3 axis movement?

0 Kudos

Simon_T
Contributor I

Hello Jozef,

thank you very much for your fast reply and the detailed information.

I had a look at the FXLS8962. This device will fullfill my requirements.

Sadly the availibility at the normal distributors is very poor at the moment.

Is there an option to get some samples for prototyping direktly from NXP? I did not find an option to order samples at the productpage.

Thank you very much for your support!

Best regards,

Simon

0 Kudos

JozefKozon
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Simon,

unfortunately you are right. The availability of the FXLS8962 at the distributors is poor. Unfortunately there is not an option to buy or request samples directly from NXP. 

I apologize for inconvenience.

With Best Regards,

Jozef

0 Kudos