MMA8451 Termic Drift

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMA8451 Termic Drift

umbertogrechi
Contributor I

Hi, i'm using a MMA8451 accelerometer as inclinometer for external application, i've seen that the variations of temperature affects the measures. There are standard parameters to correct the measure?

Unfortunately i don't have the opportunity to test the sensor at different temperatures in order to find the necessary parameters.

Best regards,

Umberto

0 Kudos
1 Reply

david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Umberto,

Thank you for writing.

As you may know, the offset error might be caused by the situations listed below:

- Device to device variations.
- Mechanical stress from packaging and mounting.
- Shifts due to temperature and aging.

In order to correct the measure, I recommend to use our software technique "AutoZero".

If you are repeatedly using AutoZero during initialization, to compensate for offset drift, etc. You won’t require offset calibration, hence the accuracy of the device would be highly improved (including repeatability).

As for Zero-g offset, it is necessary to do a calibration to exactly know what the offset is.  Please look at AN3447 “Implementing Auto-Zero Calibration Technique for Accelerometers", it was written for the MMA7455L, but the principle is the same, hence you can apply the same technique to the MMA5481:

Implementing Auto-Zero Calibration Technique for Accelerometers

Please let me know if this information helps.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos