Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MM9Z1_638 Voltage accuracy

Jump to solution
a852013777
Contributor III

Hi NXP partner

We use 0.1% each resistor for resistor diver of MM9Z1_638' PTB0~4 and Vsense 0~3.

Do we  calibrate system each sensor board when we mass production? If we don't calibarte each sensor board. Do you have tool to estimate the tolerance for mass production when we use 0.1% each resistor for resistor diver of MM9Z1_638' PTB0~4 and Vsense 0~3.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Q_man
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mike,

as indicated in the AN12301.. NXP performs a calibration of each device and stores corresponding data inside the device ROM memory. Soldering the device onto a PCB induces stress (mainly mechanical) on the silicon die which is changing electrical properties. For your use-case using the VSENSE_EXT (PTBx pins) the main parameter will be the voltage reference (Vref) used to scale the ADC results:

e.g. adc_value = Vin *  1/ Vref * 65535

The VSENSE3..VSENSE0 would have additional influenced internal resistor divider influence.

NXP has not collected extensive data how strong the influence of the soldering is and we also do not know how customers solder the devices in different applications / manufacturing lines.

The things I can comment:

- for the VSENSE_EXT the impacted should be quite the same for each channel (I have one customer who only system calibrates one channel and applies the same delta to the other channels, which was also verified using data collected by that customer). You could evaluate if you could do the same!

- not knowing your accuracy requirements: you could check with a significant statistical number of devices how strong the accuracy is impacted by the soldering and estimate if you can fulfill you specification (this has to be performed by you, on your PCB, under your mass production manufacturing conditions, etc.) without a system calibration

- you should have an accuracy validation in your manufacturing. I recommend to use that step and with little additional effort (time) you can rather system calibrate each sensor than just checking it.

Let us know if you have additional questions? We can also schedule a conference call if that is more efficient!

Rgds

Wolfgang

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Q_man
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mike,

as indicated in the datasheet a system calibration is required! The given numbers are only valid with those prerequisites.

Q_man_0-1661330196859.png

We have not characterized the performance without a system calibration and can not provide you with any numbers!

W.

0 Kudos
a852013777
Contributor III

Hi Nxp partner 

So we need to do system calibration for "every one" battery junction  box board(mm9z1_638 ),even we use 0.1%  resistor for voltage sensor. no any design process to make sure the voltage accuracy range on mass production stage.right?

br,mike

0 Kudos
Q_man
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mike,

as indicated in the AN12301.. NXP performs a calibration of each device and stores corresponding data inside the device ROM memory. Soldering the device onto a PCB induces stress (mainly mechanical) on the silicon die which is changing electrical properties. For your use-case using the VSENSE_EXT (PTBx pins) the main parameter will be the voltage reference (Vref) used to scale the ADC results:

e.g. adc_value = Vin *  1/ Vref * 65535

The VSENSE3..VSENSE0 would have additional influenced internal resistor divider influence.

NXP has not collected extensive data how strong the influence of the soldering is and we also do not know how customers solder the devices in different applications / manufacturing lines.

The things I can comment:

- for the VSENSE_EXT the impacted should be quite the same for each channel (I have one customer who only system calibrates one channel and applies the same delta to the other channels, which was also verified using data collected by that customer). You could evaluate if you could do the same!

- not knowing your accuracy requirements: you could check with a significant statistical number of devices how strong the accuracy is impacted by the soldering and estimate if you can fulfill you specification (this has to be performed by you, on your PCB, under your mass production manufacturing conditions, etc.) without a system calibration

- you should have an accuracy validation in your manufacturing. I recommend to use that step and with little additional effort (time) you can rather system calibrate each sensor than just checking it.

Let us know if you have additional questions? We can also schedule a conference call if that is more efficient!

Rgds

Wolfgang

0 Kudos
a852013777
Contributor III

Hi Q_man

Thanks for your detail and professional reply. I will disscuss with internal member base on your suggestion. 

I also agree that rather system calibrate each sensor than just checking it.

Br,mike

0 Kudos
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mike,

@Q_man is currently out of the office. I believe he will answer on Monday as soon as he is back at work.

Thank you in advance for your patience and have a nice weekend.

Best regards,

Tomas 

0 Kudos
a852013777
Contributor III

hi Nxp partner 

any update?

br,mike

0 Kudos
TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mike,

I am afraid I do not fully understand your question. Could you please try to rephrase it/provide more details or reach out to your local Sales/FAE?

Regarding the device calibration, there is available an AN12301 - MM9Z1x638 system calibration guideline.

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos
a852013777
Contributor III

Hi Tomas

sorry some typo.

We use +/- 0.1% tolerance of resistor  on voltage sensor circuit as below。Do we need to calibrate each battery junction  box board (mm9z1_638) when our board is on  Mass production stage  ? If we don't calibrate each board on Mass production stage ,what is our voltage sensor accuracy ?Do you have tool to estimate  accuracy ?

Screenshot_20220823-224757_Samsung Notes~2.jpg

br, Mike 

0 Kudos