Glucose Meter Design and Implementation (AN4364)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glucose Meter Design and Implementation (AN4364)

danielsweeney
Contributor I

I'm looking into a project involving amperometric glucose sensing with several different test strip brands, and I came across your application note "Glucose Meter Fundamentals and Design" (AN4364, Rev. 1) and I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me that were only given cursory mention within your article.

1.) I am looking into developing a circuit to test the output from various test strips of different brands, and I saw that in your article, you mentioned a test strip receiver that would allow for electrical contact with the electrode leads on the test strip itself. I couldn't find mention of the actual part you used and that is currently what I'm looking for for use in my project. Would you be able to send me that part number/reference number and help me understand what alternatives you considered when finding this particular test strip to use?

2.) I am curious about the circuit you used for your design--I'm curious as to why you chose a four-op-amp design and what you found the benefits to be over another design. Do you have any suggestions for the glucose sensing circuitry?

3) I am also looking for control solutions for testing the system to help ensure accuracy within my testing. Which test solutions were used and how were they created or were they? Are plasma expanders or other medically-relevant molecules used in the glucose control solutions? How do you adjust for viscosity in the microfluidic environment of the test strip and is that even necessary?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
4 Replies

leklawa
Contributor II

Hello Daniel, can you please tell me the name of the test strip that will fit into the HLW5R-2C7LF glucose test strip connector because I have bought one for a project and its not compatible with the GlucoRx nexus test strips I had. Thanks for your anticipated response.

Best regards

0 Kudos

santiago_lopez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David, hope you are doing great

The connector used to read the test strip has the part number HLW5R-2C7LF. We selected this one based on the physical form of the test strip we used and we didn´t consider others.

The four OpAmp configuration pretends to ease the understanding of the glucose meter solution that we provide. There are two electrodes which generate a current after the chemical reaction which are converted to voltage using current-to-voltage converters (first couple of OpAmps) and then amplified and inverted (correcting the current-to-voltage inversion) using inverting amplifiers (second couple of OpAmps). This is an easy to understand configuration for a basic glucose meter solution.

Since it it’s a reference design only and not a final medical solution, we only tested the glucose meter using a glucose solution diluted in distilled water.

I hope it solves some of your questions; I apologize for not having a more accurate answer for all of them.

Thanks for visiting Freescale Communities.

Best Regards

leklawa
Contributor II

Hello Jose, can you please tell me the name of the test strip that will fit into the HLW5R-2C7LF glucose test strip connector because I have bought one for a project and its not compatible with the GlucoRx nexus test strips I had. Thanks for your anticipated response.

Best regards

0 Kudos

santiago_lopez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Lek,

You can find the test strip information in the following link.

https://goo.gl/V4VYYM

Please remember that AN4364 is a reference design for demonstrative purposes only and it is not intended to be used as it is in the medical field.

Best Regards

0 Kudos